Are modern countries’ & regions’ cuisines a relatively recent concept?

Oct 2017
America ??
I’m no expert here, but my impression is that modern concepts of distinctive cuisines, like the major ones of the world, being American, Italian, Indian, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, those seem to be them, at least in the way that they’re usually known, are a relatively recent development & conception that formerly arose over the previous century or two, & that prior to that, there doesn’t seem to be as distinctive concepts of cuisines, that what & how people ate & cooked seems to have been more of a personal & informal matter, but not standardized as cuisines like contemporary times. Am I right here?

Reactions: Belgarion

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
British Indian curry should be called British curry only, because they are nothing like Indian curry eaten in India, it should be distinct like Japanese curry.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Concept of cuisine is based on modern political borders. Same dish can belong to two different countries.

Reactions: sailorsam
Oct 2016
Merryland
Devdas is right.
I have been to Japanese, Chinese and Korean restaurants, and they all share dishes rice-based with vegetables and some meat.
rice and beans were eaten in Africa and may have been brought over to the Caribbean etc.

somebody wrote a book a few years ago about noodle dishes. The author retraced Marco Polo's journeys and found noodle dishes at every stop.

pottage (soup/stew) and starch (rice, bread) combination are almost universal, from the pease porridge of medeival Europe to the rice/beans of Cuba.
and roasted meat.

'cuisine' varies mostly with ingredients, to me. Italion rissoto has cheese and dairy; Louisiana has red beans and rice; African rice is flavored with peppers (imported from the Americas).
Italian cooking would be far different without the tomato and cheese. rice is a relatively late addition to European food (outside of, say, the Po valley in Italy).

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Devdas is right.
I have been to Japanese, Chinese and Korean restaurants, and they all share dishes rice-based with vegetables and some meat.
rice and beans were eaten in Africa and may have been brought over to the Caribbean etc.
In India, cuisine in Himalayan region is similar to that of Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet of China. Like Momos or Thukpa noodles or butter tea. Momos is one of the most popular dishes nationwide.

Reactions: sailorsam