Are Octopi Aliens?

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
I´ll believe it when they show me their green card.

Meanwhile moved to speculative history.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Let's say that the beginning of the article is not the most balanced ever as for scientific opinions ...

"Octopuses are strange, smart creatures that certainly seem alien"

Why certainly?

If the theory that comets carried life to this planet is correct we are ALL aliens ... so ...

Then ...

Genetic divergence is anyway within the genetic environment of this planet. The DNA of an octopus doesn't show something alien. It's a terrestrial DNA.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
The likelihood is that we are ALL alien, micro organisms carried on asteroids which impacted our planet; are octupi any different?
Without any good evidence, why should we believe life came from outer space over beginning here? It's the same chemistry everywhere and there's plenty of spectrographic evidence for that. Whatever chemical reactions led to the first replicating molecules would more likely have started here in a warm pool than than being delivered here through the hostile environment of outer space.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Without any good evidence, why should we believe life came from outer space over beginning here? It's the same chemistry everywhere and there's plenty of spectrographic evidence for that. Whatever chemical reactions led to the first replicating molecules would more likely have started here in a warm pool than than being delivered here through the hostile environment of outer space.
Absolutely. Shaved by Occam, too.

Mar 2012
This is not a widely accepted hypothesis.

The short answer is "no." The slightly longer one is that it is a sad attempt at a charlatan "scientist" to make himseld relevant. Scientists, like everyone, need money and crave attention. About 90% of what you read from them can be tossed aside.

Carl Sagan wrote about this kind of nonsense from otherwise legitimate scientists in THE DEMON HAUNTED WORLD, which I recommend to everyone.

Similar History Discussions