Are Palaistinian real or just a created modern word?

Dec 2015
Coruscant
So, recently I watched Middle Ground with Palaistinians and Jews. I heard that Jews occupied Palaistinian's land and thats why they are fighting now.
So I decided to inquire a bit about that matter and found out that Palaistinians are most likely a made up term.
Before Palaistinians had my sympathies but now under new knowledge Jews have my sympathy as I fully understand how is that when foreign people inhabit your land in big waves and because of that main population becomes a minority in their own land.
So right now I am confused and wish to clarify that matter.
Thanks in advance!

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I suspect that the idea of a Palestinian national consciousness developed sometime during the 20th century. It probably occurred sometime after 1919 since back in 1919 most Palestinian Arabs apparently preferred to become a part of a Greater Syrian state. Indeed, the King-Crane Commission recommended that Palestine become part of Greater Syria--a recommendation that was ultimately not adopted by the victorious World War I allies:

King–Crane Commission - Wikipedia

The Middle East That Might Have Been

The King-Crane Commission Report by Nick Danforth

May 2015
The Netherlands
So, recently I watched Middle Ground with Palaistinians and Jews. I heard that Jews occupied Palaistinian's land and thats why they are fighting now.
So I decided to inquire a bit about that matter and found out that Palaistinians are most likely a made up term.
Before Palaistinians had my sympathies but now under new knowledge Jews have my sympathy as I fully understand how is that when foreign people inhabit your land in big waves and because of that main population becomes a minority in their own land.
So right now I am confused and wish to clarify that matter.
Thanks in advance!
I'm afraid you've got it all wrong. Palestinian refers to the people of Historical Palestine, whether Muslim, Christian or Jew. They were the indigenous inhabitants of the region prior to Zionism and the modern Aliyah. The Israelis (or at least the large majority of them) are foreigners who built a new country on the ruins of Palestinian communities using terrorism, ethnic cleansing and colonial dispossession.

Btw, all borders and classifications for groups of people are inventions.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
As with any other word, the word itself is less important than the idea behind it. The words Israeli and Palestinian both came into existence in the 20th century. Most Israelis today are immigrants or the children or grandchildren of immigrants. Most Palestinians are descended from people who've been living there for centuries.

George Carlin had a routine about how language changes. In WW1 there was a condition called shell shock. In WW2 it was called combat fatigue. In Korea it was battle exhaustion. In Vietnam it was post traumatic stress disorder. The words changed. The symptoms, the medical condition, and its effects did not change. It's an occupational hazard of historians. We tend to fixate on words. We should be trying to understand the ideas behind them.

Last edited:

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
The Ottoman Empire, which ruled the region for four centuries, did not possess an official term for the region. The area was usually called either Southern Syria or Palestine.

Dec 2015
Coruscant
Futurist
Well, I'd loved to see a free Constantinople City state. Have nothing against Turks, but I believe we lost big chunk of cultural legacy with it being completely turkified.

Gaius Julius Civilis
AFAIK there was a Jewish kingdom during Romans when they practically banished people from their own homeland. So it's just a historical justice that after thousands of years they are able to get back and re-create their own country. Is it not? And as much as I got before Jews it was just a wasteland and they made it flourish when they came there with hard work(and good funding).
And borders and "classificcations" are not just invention. It always existed. Even animals have borders not just humans.

Chlodio
Well, it's not like Jews moved from there out of their own volition. Israeli nad Jews are same thing to me. And Jews is a known word for a big chunk of time. But yeah, more the reason for them to sort it out since it all came down to it.