Are people who grow up in poverty more likely to make decisions which keep them poor?

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
That's what this article says. Do you agree?

The research, published in Psychological Science could help explain why poverty can sometimes be so difficult to escape. In two different experiments, researchers led by Vladas Griskevicius of the University of Minnesota studied people who had been raised either in relative financial comfort in middle or upper class households or had had some childhood experience with poverty. In the first experiment, 168 people were shown either images of the current recession—such as houses displaying foreclosure signs and people standing in long unemployment lines— or pictures of natural scenes.

Read more: How Scarcity Leads to Spending | TIME.com
http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/21/how-scarcity-leads-to-spending/

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
I'll use my older brother as an example: yes.
After dropping out of school as a sophomore in high school;
two failed marriages, seven kids, with only six being his (his
wife cheated on him while they were separated, and he claims
her as his), having his brain fried by years of smoking pot and
other drugs, being arrested for drugs, costing my parents
thousands of dollars to save him from complete bankruptcy, owing
the IRS thousands of dollars, being on the run from them, never caring
about his seven kids, never caring about his grandchildren, I would
say, yes, in this case, my brother keeps making decisions that
keep him poor.

Toltec

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Hyperborea
People who grow up in household with money are going to have more experience of it than those who grow up in households without, so I don't find it surprising people with more experience of something are better at doing it than those with no little or no experience.

Definition of a self made man: A person who makes a fortune of £10 million from the handicap of only inheriting £1 million.

Angelica

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Angel City
I disagree....

Poverty does not determine the individual…. Once an individual decides what he/she wants out of life that individual has the blue print to set the course in action.

I watched my mother struggled with two jobs to provide for us. I grew up in a two bedroom house with three siblings. My sister and I determine not to become a product of society she won a scholarship paid for in full and mines was partial. Both of us have good jobs making a livable income. In contrast my brother did not possess the passion to further his education however he knew the value of working hard and was able to save up and build a duplex of which he has four more years in payments.

I am not rich on the other hand I am not poor either. I am comfortable education made it possible. Analytically speaking education can open many doors for individuals out of poverty.

Mar 2012
In the bag of ecstatic squirt
^I agree with you Angelica. In fact those who lived in poverty when they were young are sometimes wiser in expenditures as compared to those who experienced the power and glory of being wealthy during their their childhood.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
I've heard it said that one must hate their present to change their future
and a person's attitude decides their success.

Dec 2012
Where the Sun never sleeps
I have to say that I live in a large US city and there are many here who live in poverty and whose children continue to live in the same social status. They learn to "cheat" the goverment. I can give you two examples from women I worked with and whose husbands made very good money.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
I disagree....

Poverty does not determine the individual…. Once an individual decides what he/she wants out of life that individual has the blue print to set the course in action.

I watched my mother struggled with two jobs to provide for us. I grew up in a two bedroom house with three siblings. My sister and I determine not to become a product of society she won a scholarship paid for in full and mines was partial. Both of us have good jobs making a livable income. In contrast my brother did not possess the passion to further his education however he knew the value of working hard and was able to save up and build a duplex of which he has four more years in payments.

I am not rich on the other hand I am not poor either. I am comfortable education made it possible. Analytically speaking education can open many doors for individuals out of poverty.
There are people who react this way, but I wonder how many do? If we look at lottery winners, we see that most end up broke. Lotteries are often referred to as taxes for poor because poor people buy tickets hoping to escape their situations. I think it comes down to not knowing how to manage money.