are poorly educated people more prone to indoctrination?

athena

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Eugene, Oregon
Reasons because of which former Marxist turned out in neo-Marxist are very complex, we can't explain everything with indoctrination or with an obsession with Marx. Even today Marx is tought in the most important American universities, to make an example.
Coming from the lectures on Utopia and the terror of the 20th century, I am impressed by the notion that violence is an accepted part of change. But that is how we think. With that mentality, we commit acts war and except the result will be the nation that is attacked will naturally be a democracy when the previous ruler is disposed of. We see this as wrong when the communist behave this way, but seem to think it is right when capitalist do it. What is right and what is wrong with this?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Some people want to understand the changes in bureaucratic order and the ramifications of that change some do not.
And some people are so in need to find a reason for their ills that they're willing to believe any garbage that vindicates their beliefs. If anything, this series of posts is a very graphic refutation of the OP.

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Poorly educated people are more susceptible to indoctrination. How far do you agree?
I do not agree at all with the statement.

Indoctrination implies receiving information.

It also implies that the recipient will be accepting of this information.

To be more precise, we would have to know which group is more likely to be uncritical of the information they receive.

I cannot think of any logical basis that would suggest that poorly educated people are more susceptible to indoctrination than very educated people.

Oct 2013
Monza, Italy
Enlighten me.How many years should I have gone to school before I am not uneducated anymore?
It depends, some people evolve critical skills going to school around 16-17 years old, others at 19-20 years old; it's a proof of fact those who aren't scholarized and who hardly get an high school diploma rely mainly on their parent's opinions, can't hold a dialogue, and favour "politicians" who are good in ranting and making impossibile promises.

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Critical thinking is a skill that is learned from a well-rounded education. Without critical thinking you are more susceptible to peer pressure and indoctrination. Travelling widely and experiencing a great variety of cultures and opinions is another way to protect yourself.
Yet, I can think of many historical examples that would seem to counter this opinion.

I would posit that we are all indoctrinated to some degree.

We have to be mindful of our assumptions.

That is why applying analysis to our thoughts via logic is so important.

Oct 2013
Monza, Italy
I cannot think of any logical basis that would suggest that poorly educated people are more susceptible to indoctrination than very educated people.
The more you read, the more you view things trough different point of views, the less you will act according to any kind of (political) dogma; many self-proclaimed intellectuals here in Italy have read the entire bibliography of Marx and Engels just with the purpose to act "against capitalist system"; if they would have read more, and not less, they would be less indoctrinated. Hitler was an avide reader, yet he never read anything which didn't confirm his prejudices, so he was indoctrinated. But generally talking schools and universities favour a wide variety of readings (at least here in Italy, although with a slight leftist tendency), while people who never hold a book in their hand are those who are promoting ridicolous political tendencies.