are poorly educated people more prone to indoctrination?

Feb 2016
Japan
Regarding OP...
if the primary method of indoctrination is education, which it mostly is, you could argue that the higher or longer your education the more indoctrinated you are.

If I’ve never been to school, my head has not been filled with whatever the state/religious body has decided...

So no. I think your education level does not alter your chances of indoctrination. The style of education, if it emphasises critical thinking, bias analysis, nuances of perspective ... will make you less likely to be conned. If your education is centred around producing obedient citizens/zealots then the more of it you receive the more indoctrinated you are.

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Regarding OP...
if the primary method of indoctrination is education, which it mostly is, you could argue that the higher or longer your education the more indoctrinated you are.

If I’ve never been to school, my head has not been filled with whatever the state/religious body has decided...

So no. I think your education level does not alter your chances of indoctrination. The style of education, if it emphasises critical thinking, bias analysis, nuances of perspective ... will make you less likely to be conned. If your education is centred around producing obedient citizens/zealots then the more of it you receive the more indoctrinated you are.
Good points.

I would also say that by existing in a certain culture we are subject to many forms of indoctrination. I would call these cultural biases. Again, I am placing no negative or positive attachments to the concept of indoctrination. That is to say, that, some forms of indoctrination may be good while others are not so good.

I do think, though, that it takes quite a bit of effort on our part to identify these biases and to be conscious of how they influence our actions. It takes more work and sometimes strenuous effort for us to make a logical decision to continue or discontinue those biases.