Are the Hazara people unique, in looking racially distinct from the groups around them, in terms of the societies of Afro-Eurasia?

Apr 2015
UK
I know that due to recent migrations in the Americas, Europe, Oceania, South Africa that people within these societies can look very different from one another, but as far as i know the Hazara people of Afghanistan and Pakistan (who look more East Asian than other groups around them) are the only group i can think of who look racially different to everyone else around them but have a long history, that can't be linked to recent migrations. Are there any other ethnic groups who look different to the other groups within their society, that you can think of?

Thanks

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
The Romas/Gypsies are an obvious and a big example. I've also found it very interesting that Tatars are still visibly distinguishable in Romania and i guess in other parts of Eastern Europe too where they live, like the Lipka Tatars in Poland and Lithuania.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The Romas/Gypsies are an obvious and a big example. I've also found it very interesting that Tatars are still visibly distinguishable in Romania and i guess in other parts of Eastern Europe too where they live, like the Lipka Tatars in Poland and Lithuania.
The Jews were also pretty distinguishable in Eastern Europe before intermarriage there began on a large scale, no?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I know that due to recent migrations in the Americas, Europe, Oceania, South Africa that people within these societies can look very different from one another, but as far as i know the Hazara people of Afghanistan and Pakistan (who look more East Asian than other groups around them) are the only group i can think of who look racially different to everyone else around them but have a long history, that can't be linked to recent migrations. Are there any other ethnic groups who look different to the other groups within their society, that you can think of?

Thanks
Eastern European Jews and African-Americans.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
The Jews were also pretty distinguishable in Eastern Europe before intermarriage there began on a large scale, no?
I don't know, were they? I mean religious clothing, big beard, earlock made them stand out, but I'm not sure they were that anthropologically distinct to be easily distinguishable without those features.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I don't know, were they? I mean religious clothing, big beard, earlock made them stand out, but I'm not sure they were that anthropologically distinct to be easily distinguishable without those features.
They looked Middle Eastern rather than European, no?

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
They looked Middle Eastern rather than European, no?
I don't think they looked different to the orthodox Jews of today, that is a population which was unaffected by the large scale intermarriage started after 18-19-20th century Jewish emancipation (unless the medieval or late antique European admixture events are in your mind, I have no idea how did the Jews looked like before those).

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I don't think they looked different to the orthodox Jews of today, that is a population which was unaffected by the large scale intermarriage started after 18-19-20th century Jewish emancipation (unless the medieval or late antique European admixture events are in your mind, I have no idea how did the Jews looked like before those).
Yes, but that would have still made them distinguishable even without the clothes and the beard. For instance, here is Jewish-American singer Ezra Furman:

yes, hazara people in Pakistan look like east asians and completely different to native pakistanis. i think that there are also some people in gilgit baltistan who may look like east asians.

regards

Similar History Discussions