Are the Hazara people unique, in looking racially distinct from the groups around them, in terms of the societies of Afro-Eurasia?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Checking now , Read some times ago than the Hazara were the descendants of one of Gengis Mongols tiumen ( unit of ten thousands )
they certainly have the Mongol touch about them

Jul 2014
world
I know that due to recent migrations in the Americas, Europe, Oceania, South Africa that people within these societies can look very different from one another, but as far as i know the Hazara people of Afghanistan and Pakistan (who look more East Asian than other groups around them) are the only group i can think of who look racially different to everyone else around them but have a long history, that can't be linked to recent migrations. Are there any other ethnic groups who look different to the other groups within their society, that you can think of?

Thanks
There is a group of people called "Daman" in Tibet who looks like North Indians. They claim to be a remnant of the 2nd Sino-Gurkha war who got left behind. After much hardship and hiding they found refuge in a local monastery and stayed on. They claim to be Nepali in origin but resemble North Indian.

You also have Russians in China. Few of them are pureblood nowadays though. So you will find a Chinese looking guy called Vasily and so on.

May 2009
The blonde Hmongs of southern China & Vietnam certainly stand out. It's supposedly a remnant of Mongolian/Siberian ancestry. You still see the occasional blonde in Mongolia too. Some have some Russian blood, but not all. There have been accounts of "yellow haired people" in various parts of Asia since ancient times.

733fdccf5bf740cce77290be9654509b.jpg

9b1b3d1d7a90574a410e70b705f063d0.jpg

1b71302a33a85694c500ddce6b92f23e.jpg

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I know that due to recent migrations in the Americas, Europe, Oceania, South Africa that people within these societies can look very different from one another, but as far as i know the Hazara people of Afghanistan and Pakistan (who look more East Asian than other groups around them) are the only group i can think of who look racially different to everyone else around them but have a long history, that can't be linked to recent migrations. Are there any other ethnic groups who look different to the other groups within their society, that you can think of?

Thanks
Hazaras are the descendants of the Mongol troops of Genghis Khan who adopted Islam and Persian language later on. These days they are increasing facing persecution in Afghanistan and Pakistan due to their Shia Islam view.

Jan 2019
Valencia
The traditional language of Hazaras is Hazaragi which is a dialect of Persian with loads of Mongolic and Turkic origin words. With this in mind, it is safe to assume that they are descended from either Mongol or Turkic soldiers (likely the former). This also lines up with their own traditional history. Case closed. What other explanation is there for Mongolic language influence reaching that region?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
The blonde Hmongs of southern China & Vietnam certainly stand out. It's supposedly a remnant of Mongolian/Siberian ancestry. You still see the occasional blonde in Mongolia too. Some have some Russian blood, but not all. There have been accounts of "yellow haired people" in various parts of Asia since ancient times.

View attachment 17404

View attachment 17405

View attachment 17406
The Hmong have legends of living much farther north, near the province of Kansu I believe. After their defeat by china they are said to have fled south. Another theory is that greeks from central asia fled east after certain wars, possibly mingling with the (at the time) Caucasian nomads of central asia. Its possible they mingled with the Hmong and moved south, possibly passing on the gene for blond hair. Additionally possibly greek inspired bronze bull figurines have been found in southern china. Of course this is combining multiple legends with possible theories.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The traditional language of Hazaras is Hazaragi which is a dialect of Persian with loads of Mongolic and Turkic origin words. With this in mind, it is safe to assume that they are descended from either Mongol or Turkic soldiers (likely the former). This also lines up with their own traditional history. Case closed. What other explanation is there for Mongolic language influence reaching that region?
One wonders if the Turks originally looked more like Kazakhs before they intermarried with Anatolia's population.

Similar History Discussions