Are the US currently an empire?

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
they are an empire
they own Puerto and the pacific japanese islands that they took in WW2
The United States bought Puerto Rico and the people of Puerto Rico have the right and ability to determine their future.

WeisSaul

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
New Amsterdam
The United States bought Puerto Rico and the people of Puerto Rico have the right and ability to determine their future.
I thought we WON Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands have commonwealth status, and as such govern themselves for the most part. Puerto Rico and the Marianna Islands (the Northern Marianna Islands + Guam) are likely going to be the 51st and 52nd states.

America's only other non-state non DC territories are American Samoa and the USVI. They both have populations far too small to be states. If the US were to make the Spanish (Puerto Rican), USVI, and British VI all one state, and make the two Samoas one state, those would have fairly large and well proportioned populations. Considering those prospects are very unlikely, those territories are unlikely to achieve statehood status, and independence wouldn't serve them well because they are too small to prosper on their own.

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
I thought we WON Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands have commonwealth status, and as such govern themselves for the most part. Puerto Rico and the Marianna Islands (the Northern Marianna Islands + Guam) are likely going to be the 51st and 52nd states.

America's only other non-state non DC territories are American Samoa and the USVI. They both have populations far too small to be states. If the US were to make the Spanish (Puerto Rican), USVI, and British VI all one state, and make the two Samoas one state, those would have fairly large and well proportioned populations. Considering those prospects are very unlikely, those territories are unlikely to achieve statehood status, and independence wouldn't serve them well because they are too small to prosper on their own.
Okay, I was wrong about Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico, Guam and The Philippines were ceded to The U.S. by Spain.

During the Civil War the U.S. offered Spain 160 million dollars for Puerto Rico, The Dominican Republic and Cuba but Spain refused.

skizzerflake

Ad Honorem
Mar 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
they are an empire
they own Puerto and the pacific japanese islands that they took in WW2
Aside from Puerto Rico, those Pacific Islands hardly amount to an empire. Most are uninhabited and have land areas of a few square miles. The ones that are populated are about the size of a good sized city neighborhood. Also most have the choice of leaving, but find that US support is worth more than it costs. In the case of PR, over the years, several votes have supported something like the current status. A few people want to leave, but they are a distinct minority. None of that adds up to anything like Britain claiming India or the Romans having all of western Europe.

Baltis

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Texas
Aside from Puerto Rico, those Pacific Islands hardly amount to an empire. Most are uninhabited and have land areas of a few square miles. The ones that are populated are about the size of a good sized city neighborhood. Also most have the choice of leaving, but find that US support is worth more than it costs. In the case of PR, over the years, several votes have supported something like the current status. A few people want to leave, but they are a distinct minority. None of that adds up to anything like Britain claiming India or the Romans having all of western Europe.
Must agree here. If its Puerto Rico and the Pacific Islands that make the US an empire, that would definitely rank as a second rate empire. I don't believe that is our answer here. If 'Empire' status is claimed, we need to claim it by pointing to something a bit larger and more dominant than Puerto Rico and our Pacific Islands.

Aug 2011
Texas
What the heck, nobody has provided any of my queries for maps so i thought i would google it and post whatever i found:

The controversial Unified Command map:

So, there we are...i guess?