Are there any books written or dictated by Napoléon?

Mar 2016
Australia
I once read in a biography that while on St Helena he wrote a book about Caesar's campaigns but that it hasn't been translated to English, which is really disappointing. I love Napoléon so much, and reading an entire book of his own words and thoughts would be incredible.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
When he was young he wrote actually some novels and works [they are in French, I read "Le Masque Prophete" in French whey I was still studying].

Other two known works are

* Le Comte d'Essex
* Nouvelle Corse

I ignore if they have been translated in English [but I think so].

What you're looking for has already been mentioned on Historum [http://historum.com/war-military-history/119963-great-general-s-thoughts-other-great-generals.html - second post].

Here there is the original link [http://www.virginia.edu/topnews/tex...es_First_English_Translation_of_His_Views.txt]

So I would suggest you to look for the translation by Smith Palmer Bovie.

Mar 2016
Australia
You seem to be a fan of Napoleon! Nice, me too! I love him too as in my view, he was one of the greatest generals of all time (if not the best).
Yeah, although saying I'm a fan of his is probably an understatement. Were I French and alive at the time he was, I'd gladly serve and die for him. The first time I read about his exile and death on St Helena I almost cried.

Thank you so much for this. I never realized such a thing existed. This'll keep my busy for a few days, I think.

Sep 2016
India
Yeah, although saying I'm a fan of his is probably an understatement. Were I French and alive at the time he was, I'd gladly serve and die for him. The first time I read about his exile and death on St Helena I almost cried.

Thank you so much for this. I never realized such a thing existed. This'll keep my busy for a few days, I think.
That's basically my relationship with Hannibal there. I cried when I realised that all his genius couldn't defeat Rome and how he was pursued by his enemies relentlessly until he was forced to commit suicide.

Anyways, I simply searched books by Napoleon Bonaparte on google and I got this. So just check a bit of its background, to see if it is authentic.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Just because someone is a good general does not mean they can explain it.

Napoleon writings were propaganda. of limited insight.

Well other than his awful failed career as a romance writer.

Sep 2016
India

Just because someone is a good general does not mean they can explain it.

Napoleon writings were propaganda. of limited insight.

Well other than his awful failed career as a romance writer.
Hey I see you post something bad about Napoleon every day! As far as I am concerned, I want to read Napoleon's own words because I want to get into his head and figure out the strategies he used.

I dont see why you would want to piss of an ardent Napoleon fan such as himself :lol:

Also these books were made from Napoleon's words in St. Helen yo an English man. So there.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Hey I see you post something bad about Napoleon every day! As far as I am concerned, I want to read Napoleon's own words because I want to get into his head and figure out the strategies he used.

I dont see why you would want to piss of an ardent Napoleon fan such as himself :lol:

Also these books were made from Napoleon's words in St. Helen yo an English man. So there.
(1) because Napoleon is routinely over hyped. There is a lot of rubbish fan boy stuff said about Napoleon, which is just annoying and I always want to correct tis sort of stuff regardless of who it's about.
(Note there are many reasonable posters who are fans of Napoleon. You can be a fan without drinking the bath water)

(2) because Napoleon is a extremely interesting Guy he;s a whole mix of various attributes so he is interesting to talk about.

(3) Well I like a decent debate, and there's always someone willing to defend Napoleon, there's other things I'd like to argue about but you don't always get responses.

(4) balance. If people were slagging him all the time I'd probably defined him.

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
A few years after Napoleon's death on St. Helena, one of his entourage showed up in Paris with a handwritten manuscript purported to be "biography" been written by the man himself. There were some doubts to the authanticity, and politically, it was not felt appropriate to publish at the time. The manuscript was forgotten until late in the 19th century when a singe edition (2500 copies, if memory serves) of the manuscript was published ... in English. It is a thin book, easily read and might easily be either authentic or a fraud. There is an extensive forward where one, or more, "experts" give it's provenance, and comment on various elements within the book.

I sold my copy the book a number of years ago, and believe you will have a hard time finding a copy. For those legions who are obsessed with Napoleon the search for this little known book should be a nice exercise.

Less clear in my mind was a book written by one of Napoleon's jailors that describes his time on St. Helena. I believe other reports about his life on the Island were written by those who accompanied him into exile. Apparently, he tried snuggling up to one of his courtier's wives, and that caused some discord. He is said to have spent many hours sitting on a rock looking silently out to sea. A woman on a passing vessel that made a short stop over at St. Helena wrote that she saw him, but barely recognized him in his physical condition. Gone was that spark that inspired so many death. His skin was mottled, he was obese and had trouble getting around.

Sep 2016
India
A few years after Napoleon's death on St. Helena, one of his entourage showed up in Paris with a handwritten manuscript purported to be "biography" been written by the man himself. There were some doubts to the authanticity, and politically, it was not felt appropriate to publish at the time. The manuscript was forgotten until late in the 19th century when a singe edition (2500 copies, if memory serves) of the manuscript was published ... in English. It is a thin book, easily read and might easily be either authentic or a fraud. There is an extensive forward where one, or more, "experts" give it's provenance, and comment on various elements within the book.

I sold my copy the book a number of years ago, and believe you will have a hard time finding a copy. For those legions who are obsessed with Napoleon the search for this little known book should be a nice exercise.

Less clear in my mind was a book written by one of Napoleon's jailors that describes his time on St. Helena. I believe other reports about his life on the Island were written by those who accompanied him into exile. Apparently, he tried snuggling up to one of his courtier's wives, and that caused some discord. He is said to have spent many hours sitting on a rock looking silently out to sea. A woman on a passing vessel that made a short stop over at St. Helena wrote that she saw him, but barely recognized him in his physical condition. Gone was that spark that inspired so many death. His skin was mottled, he was obese and had trouble getting around.
Perhaps this 'biography' is the thing that I have shown? Or is it different?

Similar History Discussions