Are there any pre-Islamic statues in middle east which were spared and preserved by medieval Muslim dynasties?

Aug 2014
pakistan
From what i have read, the ancient statues that we see in Museums of Muslim world, were excavated by westerns. Muslims either destroyed the ancient pre-islamic statues or defaced and disfigured in the regions dominated by them. Are there any pre-Islamic statues which were spared and preserved by Muslim kingdoms and empires before arrival of Europeans?

The question popped into my mind after reading this news of 2001 in which Taliban destroyed statues of Kabul Museum Taliban destroys Kanishka statue

Nov 2010
Cornwall
News travels slowly!

Wasn't there something forbidding the reproduction/representation of living beings and animals? That's why all Almohad art was based on design patterns etc as in the 3 great mosques of Marrakesh, Rabat and Seville.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
News travels slowly!

Wasn't there something forbidding the reproduction/representation of living beings and animals? That's why all Almohad art was based on design patterns etc as in the 3 great mosques of Marrakesh, Rabat and Seville.
Yep, there does appear to have been such a prohibition. In fact, when they ruled Afghanistan, the Taliban believed that this prohibition extends to photography and thus banned photography and photographs (at least those of living objects; I don't know if they prohibited photography of non-living objects) throughout Afghanistan.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Yep, there does appear to have been such a prohibition. In fact, when they ruled Afghanistan, the Taliban believed that this prohibition extends to photography and thus banned photography and photographs (at least those of living objects; I don't know if they prohibited photography of non-living objects) throughout Afghanistan.
Possibly. But I think they make it up as they go along!

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
From what i have read, the ancient statues that we see in Museums of Muslim world, were excavated by westerns. Muslims either destroyed the ancient pre-islamic statues or defaced and disfigured in the regions dominated by them. Are there any pre-Islamic statues which were spared and preserved by Muslim kingdoms and empires before arrival of Europeans?

The question popped into my mind after reading this news of 2001 in which Taliban destroyed statues of Kabul Museum Taliban destroys Kanishka statue
Sure in Africa ...

Well ... Egypt is a Muslim country and Muslims there have been preserving the treasure of Ancient Egypt. Despite some Muslim Lords even used the pyramids as targets to test cannons [but pyramids are enough tough to survive to cannon balls!].

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Egypt is a country with a lot of Muslims, but it is not a theocracy. So is Turkey, but I believe more secular than Egypt, but I may be mistaken.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
The prohibition on images is hardly universal in the Islamic world, and the early Islamic dynasties made no effort to systematically destroy art that they did not agree with. On the contrary, they even produced it, such as at Qusayr 'Amra.