Are there proper Kshatriyas and Vaishyas in South India

Jan 2012
uk
hmmm interesting as I said there are the Rajus as well in Andhra who claim Rajput descet. What about TN and Kerala are there Kshatriya and Vaishya (not of the degraded status)? What castes did Kulashekaras, Cheras, pandyas, pallavas and chola belong to?
Rajus are well populated in RAJAPALAYAM near Madurai which is an industrial town. To be more specific they are the INDUSRIALISTS who runs Madras cements (ramco cements) Ramaraju cotton mills , Madras chipboards limited. The CEO of Sathyam computors also is from RAJUS community .

Oct 2017
Mangalore
There is very much a Vaishya community called Shetty that is widespread in Karnataka and Andhra. Besides there is also a Vaishya community called Banajigas. There are Kshatriyas called Wodeyars and Arasus in Karnataka also.

No actually in Karnataka,shettys(Bunt) of coastal region(Mangalore,Udupi,Uttara Kannada) and Kasaragod district of Kerala belong to warrior class.....to support this I would like to mention the Alupas Dyanasty which ruled this region a long ago belonged to bunt class.....and even now you can see some initials of Shetty of coastal region is 'Alva'...which were there during Alupas.......and Bunts even follow the Matrilineal system which was founded by Alupa king 'Bhutala Pandya'.....Bunts still live in high class homes in villages as landlords in ethnic 'Guthu'' houses....During the rulers of rest of Karnataka took Jainism as practice few bunt rulers also got converted to Jainism.....so as a result Jain's of coastal region have similar initials as bunts(Ex:-Shetty,Heggade,Chowta,Ballala,etc).....and in bunt customs they have the practice of keeping meals(non veg) to ancestors in banana leaf along with a vegetarian meal showing the relationship with Jain's!

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
No actually in Karnataka,shettys(Bunt) of coastal region(Mangalore,Udupi,Uttara Kannada) and Kasaragod district of Kerala belong to warrior class.....to support this I would like to mention the Alupas Dyanasty which ruled this region a long ago belonged to bunt class.....and even now you can see some initials of Shetty of coastal region is 'Alva'...which were there during Alupas.......and Bunts even follow the Matrilineal system which was founded by Alupa king 'Bhutala Pandya'.....Bunts still live in high class homes in villages as landlords in ethnic 'Guthu'' houses....During the rulers of rest of Karnataka took Jainism as practice few bunt rulers also got converted to Jainism.....so as a result Jain's of coastal region have similar initials as bunts(Ex:-Shetty,Heggade,Chowta,Ballala,etc).....and in bunt customs they have the practice of keeping meals(non veg) to ancestors in banana leaf along with a vegetarian meal showing the relationship with Jain's!
I was not talking about the Bunt Shettys. I was talking about the Telugu Shettys in Bengaluru Mysuru region.

Nov 2014
India
Shettys of coastal Karnataka are entirely different from the Setty (please note the difference in pronunciation, though both are spelled as Shetty). Setty are a purely business community in the uplands of Karnataka. Some of them are vegetarians, unlike Shettys of coastal Karnataka.

Almost all rulers of Coastal Karnataka were Jains, and Jainism was in Coastal Karnataka well before recorded history of the place.
In the political order of coastal Karnataka, Shettys (Bunts) were subordinate to the Jain overlords. Most of the warriors and generals were Bunts. Bunts also had vast agricultural land and political power.

I know, I am from coastal Karnataka.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Nice posts, @Jinit, @Sharan Kumar and @Prashanth.

Yeah, it seems there were no caste as Kshatriya in South India. Agriculturists fought for their kings, when they became powerful or were given rule over territories, they were known as Raju, Nayakas, Nairs, etc.. Even in North India, Kshatriyas were not fighting wars all through the year and maintained themselves with agriculture only, on land allotted by their kings (Jagirs). Do you think that is a correct reading of the situation in South India?

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
What do you mean by 'proper kshatriyas' and 'proper vaishyas'? There was much mingling and restructuring during the assimilation of Aryans among the indigenous people.

Feb 2019
vijayram
yes I'm also Kshatriya from Andhra Pradesh , south India I..we are descents of ikshvaku Dynasty, pls do read this link or search for Dhanunjaya gothra in wiki...I'm from Kshatriya family , my surname DATLA here Kshatriya will named ended with as Raju , Varma, Raja , example Prabhas Raju , Ram Gopal Varma .https.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhananjaya_gotra?wprov=sfla1

Jul 2019
Dubai
About RAJUS (the Telugu speaking Kshatriyas)
Unlike other Telugu community people, the Telugu Kshatriyas (Rajus) have Rishi Gothram/Gothra and Raja Pravaras also ( which indicate/describe their Royal lineage).
Rishi Pravara indicates to which Rishi (Sage) disciples they have been.
Raja Pravara indicates to which Royal Race or lineage they belong.
At Rajus' ceremonies the Brahmins and Bhatrajus/Bhattus (Bards / Minstrels) recite their Rishi and Raja Pravaras.
Rajus have four Gothras (Vashishta, Dhananjaya, Koundinya and Kashyapa). The ' Pashupati' Gothra which is seen among the Rayalaseema and Nellore Rajus could be synonym of Koundinya Gothra.

Rajus claim that they are descendants of Four Dynasties that ruled the Telugu land.
These 4 Dynasties are:
a) PARICHEDIS (Guhila, Vishnukundin Clan)
b) KOTA/ DHARANI KOTA (Kubja Vishnuvardhana, Eastern Chalukya Clan)
c) KAKATI/KAKATIYA (Karikala Chola, Kakati Prola Raju Clan).
d) VARNATA (Aditya chola, Varnata Rajendra Chola /Rajendra Choda Clan).
Information available on this topic in Telugu book “Andhra Samsthanamulu - Sahitya Poshana" published by Andhra University. This book was published form of Ph.D. thesis submitted by Dr. Thoomati Donappa (Former Vice Chancellor of Telugu University).
Another reference book on this subject is “Sri Andhra Kshatriya Vamsa Ratnakaram" by Budharaju Varahalaraju.
Another Telugu language book ' KSHATRIYANVAYAMANJUSHA' by Sri. Duvvuri Jagannadha Sharma.
In fact there are several references/ reference books available on this subject.

AFTER FALL OF THE DYNASTIES PARICHCHEDI, KOTA/ DHARANI KOTA, VARNATA, SAAGI, EASTERN CHALUKYA, KAKATIYA etc. the Rajus emerged as Zamindars
RAJU (Telugu Kshatriya) ZAMINDARIS / ESTSATES:
• Charmahal / Mogalthur: Kalidindi (Koundinya Gothra)
• Revidi/ Mathol/Golugonda: Bhupathiraju clan (Dhananjaya Gothra)
• Kota Uratla-Thangedu (East Godavari): Saagi / Sagi (Vashishta Gothra)
• Ongole: Mandapati (Kashyapa Gothra)
• Padmanabham: Saagi/ Sagi clan (Vashishta Gothra)
• Peddapuram: Vatsavayi / Vatsavaya (Vashishta Gothra)
• Rajahmundry: Pusapati /Poospati (Vashishta Gothra)
• Ramachandrapuram (Kota Ramachandra Puram): Kakarlapudi (Vashishta Gothra)
• Tanuku (West Godavari): Uppalapati (Kasyapa gothra),
but later this zamindari was transferred to Mullapudi (Kamma caste) family.
• TUNI, East Godavari: Dantuluri (Dhananjaya Gothra)
• Vizianagaram: Pusapati / Poosapati (Vashishta Gothra)
• Thettu (Nellore district): Vezendla/ Vejella (Vashishta Gothra)
• Thoyyeru, Koppuram: Nallaparaju (Dhananjaya gothra)
And others like Moida ( Penumatsa, Dhananjaya Gothra),Karvetinagar ( Chittoor District near Tirupati), Owk ( Cuddapah Dist.), Anegondi ( Karnataka) , Chinchinada ( Alluri, Vashishta Gothra) ), Mutta Talaga Chirala ( Uppalapati, Kasyapa Gothra), Chintapalli ( Alluri, Vashishta gothra), Rajolu ( Kanumuri, Kashyapa gothra), , Dwarapudi ( Chintalapati, Dhananjaya gothra), Kothakota ( Pinnamaraju, Vashishta gothra), …… and many more.

Asherman

Forum Staff
May 2013
Albuquerque, NM
This sort of thread had a terrible reputation for degenerating into unacceptable pollitical/religious/ethnic/cultural war ... far from the civility and respect for others who we disagree with. So far, the participants here have managed to stay clear of the rocks and shoals. Exchange information, try to understand why the whole world isn't as insightful as you, and this forum might actually contribute to better understanding of communities far from Southern Asia. The Forum will continue to be closely monitored, so keep up the good work.

Similar History Discussions