Are We Able to Agree on Anything Whatsoever?

Dec 2011
It seems to me that almost any discussion on these boards turns into a dispute, usually involving a lot of tangential issues, with people steadfastly disagreeing, and, typically, not much of value is learned.

I am wanting to find things that we can agree on. Does anyone disagree with the following statement:

"People exist".

Robert165

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
North Georgia
ummm, my favorite singer is Bob Dylan and my favorite Band is the Clash. I used to read a lot of books as a kid but the internet has made me very very lazy in that regard. Wes Anderson is probably my favorite movie director but not everyone is going to like him I don't guess. He is kind of quirky.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
I agree with the OP. How's that?

Seriously (if indeed this is a serious thread), at least part of the problem is that discussions here have become "fact free."

I would like to see a rule that if someone's point is challenged with a citation to evidence, he or she must respond (if at all) with evidence of some sort, and that it is not enough simply to repeat his or her statement in different words. If that was not done, that thread could be closed to the commenter.

This would be a sanction short of suspending someone from the entire forum for a period of time, but it would stop those commenters who waste all of our time by continuing to pontificate without evidence.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
The danger when everyone agrees with everybody else is that it turns into an echo chamber, where people just go to get their preconceived ideas reinforced.

Discussion is and disagreement is healthy, as long as ot stays civil - see rule #1.

Jul 2016
USA
ummm, my favorite singer is Bob Dylan and my favorite Band is the Clash. I used to read a lot of books as a kid but the internet has made me very very lazy in that regard. Wes Anderson is probably my favorite movie director but not everyone is going to like him I don't guess. He is kind of quirky.
I drove nearly two hours to go see The Grand Budapest Hotel on opening weekend, totally worth it. Been addicted to his movies since seeing The Royal Tenenbaums in movies.