Are/Were tribal religions primitive?

Oct 2017
Mordor
i once read somewhere an article, where the author talked about "tribal" languages, and he stated that according to sciencists they are no less developed (in terms of grammar, vocabulary etc.) than the languages of more civilized societies. Moreover, they use many words to describe things that are identical for us. For example, Inuit peoples from the cold lands have a few words on what we simply call "snow", every each one of them describing a little bit different snow. Whether this is true or not, i wonder whether we can say the same of their religions. Are they (i am talking about all tribal nations in general) more primitive in terms of mythology, tradition, cult, than, say, Greek mythology?

abram

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
oklahoma
"Primitive" carries connotations of not being "advanced". I prefer the term "primal". In some respects, primal religions have their attractive features.

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
i once read somewhere an article, where the author talked about "tribal" languages, and he stated that according to sciencists they are no less developed (in terms of grammar, vocabulary etc.) than the languages of more civilized societies. Moreover, they use many words to describe things that are identical for us. For example, Inuit peoples from the cold lands have a few words on what we simply call "snow", every each one of them describing a little bit different snow. Whether this is true or not, i wonder whether we can say the same of their religions. Are they (i am talking about all tribal nations in general) more primitive in terms of mythology, tradition, cult, than, say, Greek mythology?
That is true for the Inuit/Yupik languages. Different terms for falling snow, snow on the ground, crusted snow, etc. It's a similar situation to how we have special words for the front and back of a ship, left and right, for example.

Believe me, languages like those have extreme complexity. They don't have native vocabulary for things that don't exist in their culture (and thus have to borrow or coin new words), but they are not simple.

Last edited: