Argentina and Eva Perón

Aug 2012
That post on women and history brought to mind the following two famous women in history, Queen Isabella I of Castile and Eva Perón. I really think Eva Perón was more loved by many people from many different nations then all the famous Queens of history put together. She was not brought up in royalty or richess. She had to climb up the ladder like regular working people.

I found two videos on her which also shows how Argentina was trying to help nations in Europe after WW II. I have never really heard about some of the things they discussed. Such has the Perón economic plan for Europe.

Videos are in Spanish but with English subtitles. In the first video, Spains situation seems like what North Korea is currently going through with the UN.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvCdIzLZt-Q"]Eva Peron 1 (english) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7jY9MqhYRw"]Eva Peron 2 (english) - YouTube[/ame]

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
Although fascinating personalities, Juan Peron and Eva Peron are virtually unknown outside Argentina. Mostly what people know is from Evita.

Too bad. The history of Argentina in the mid 20th century is not only interesting, but valuable.

Apr 2013
Argentina
Believe me Eva Peron is still revered here. -
The current football league (the main sport in the country) bears his name. -
While our current president (Cristina Kirchner) is trying to emulate, unfortunately does not get to the heels.

constantine

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Considering the dismal performance of the Argentine economy under peronist policies, it's quite fortunate for Europe that they did not take Argentinian proposals seriously. Those protectionist trade policies and the collectivist social outlook destroyed the potential Argentina once had, has undermined economic growth, and has seriously diminished their standing in the world.

Jul 2017
Argentina
Hey Epix.
I don't know to what point is Evita's a known name out of Argentina.
I can't agree with you that she climbed the ladder like working people. She did come from a low class family. But she was young when acting in movies (which I never saw on TV) untill she caught an influent Perón in the work agency of the military dictatorship then ruling.
I would summarize her saying her goal was to use public's money to create a reputation for herself. And she was very succesfull at it.
Argentina would be much better if characters like her weren't so admired by people.

LatinoEuropa

Ad Honorem
Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
Believe me Eva Peron is still revered here. -
The current football league (the main sport in the country) bears his name. -
While our current president (Cristina Kirchner) is trying to emulate, unfortunately does not get to the heels.

when they are alive, they are all children of the devil, when they are dead they are all heroes, it reminds me many of my country's stately figures

Oct 2015
Norway
The Perons are also known for shielding nazis after WWII. Otto Scorzeny, the leader of Waffen-SS special forces and "The most dangerous man in Europe" was the Commander of their bodyguard and rumoured to be Evita's lover.
I don't know much about this, but I seem to remember reading thread was an office in their palace that worked only with saving nazis from Europe and get them to Argentina.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
In Italy Evita Peron is very famous and she is a romantic icon [this to underline how a figure can be idealized].

From a not emotional and rational perspective, there is who in Italy notes some similarities with Claretta Petacci [starting from the persuasion that Peron was the Argentinian Mussolini, of course].