Aromanians in Greece, Albania and Bulgaria

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Aromanians are Romanians, arent they? Or they different folks with similar names?

They are related to Romanians, but not quite identical, it seems.

Aromanians, or Vlachs (Aromanian: Armânji, Rrâmânji,[11] Makidonji), are a Latin people native throughout the southern Balkans, especially in northern and central Greece, southern Albania, the Republic of Macedonia, south-western Bulgaria, and, as an emigrant community, in Serbia and Romania (Dobrudja). They are a native people in the regions of Epirus, Thessalia and Macedonia. An older term used for them is Macedo-Romanians. Especially in Greece, the term Vlachs (Vlahoi) is widespread; this term is sometimes used outside Greece to encompass all Latin-descended peoples of the Balkans, including the modern-day Romanians.

The Vlachs speak Aromanian, a Latin-derived language similar to Romanian, which has many slightly varying dialects of its own.[12]
Aromanians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mar 2014
Goettingen
But, as far as I understood, in Albania there is a recognized Greek national minority, to which Greece through various policies tries to attach the Aromanians, but no Romanian national minority into which Romania may try to integrate them. OTOH, personally I think that Romania would be much more interested in the preservation and affirmation of Aromanian language and identity rather than in pursuing certain policies aiming to a "cultural, linguistic unification". According to my knowledge, those Aromanians who managed to preserve their ethnolinguistic identity and to develop a certain self-consciousness have always felt related and linked with Romanians.
This is a very well formulated, clear and correct point of view, in my opinion.
When interested to maintain there language and identity, Aromanian always were directed towards Romania. This is a very simple and understandable criterion.

Mar 2014
Goettingen
But hey, who knows anything for sure. Maybe it is highly exaggerated.
The important thing is to be elastic, and accept several different points of view. Then you may have one, knowing that all are exagerated in some respect :suspicious: More is, many are mixed, as you say. And who is so stiff as to make a general rule applying for all. The general rule is: good nice guy who have some ancestry on our side ... are of our nationality. And bad guys, who can be put on the shoulder of others, will be.

What was Mother Theresa, of Albanian mother and Aromanian father? Well, faith comes from the mothers, like for Saint Augustine. So we may agree to accept her being Albanian. But in a patriarchal society, she should be consider as Aromanian. or at least the fact that she was Aromanian from the paternal side could be less silenced than it is ... This is an example, because I was fond of Mother Theresa in my youth (and of course still am), and she looked very very familiar, in fact she resembled closely to a particular aunt of mine.

May 2014
Iliria
The important thing is to be elastic, and accept several different points of view. Then you may have one, knowing that all are exagerated in some respect :suspicious: More is, many are mixed, as you say. And who is so stiff as to make a general rule applying for all. The general rule is: good nice guy who have some ancestry on our side ... are of our nationality. And bad guys, who can be put on the shoulder of others, will be.

What was Mother Theresa, of Albanian mother and Aromanian father? Well, faith comes from the mothers, like for Saint Augustine. So we may agree to accept her being Albanian. But in a patriarchal society, she should be consider as Aromanian. or at least the fact that she was Aromanian from the paternal side could be less silenced than it is ... This is an example, because I was fond of Mother Theresa in my youth (and of course still am), and she looked very very familiar, in fact she resembled closely to a particular aunt of mine.

The father of Mother Teresa was an albanian. Mother Teresa make clear this, she said i am an albanian. You can not make another teorie, you are more informated then Mother Teresa?

May 2014
Iliria
Why they integrated so well? Do you not think that is a result of past assimilation politics and present indifference, indifference that is also an assimilation program?

Why they integrated so well??????:confused: I don`t understand this question.
You know Rodan it is a long list with deputets, ministers, prime ministers of Albania part of the coban minority go and ask them. Do you now another ethnic or cultural etc minority in the world with all this benefits?
we are 4 friends :i am muslim another my friend named Artan is muslim, another my friend named Artan is coban by the two sides, antother my friend named Renato coban from the mother and muslim from the father. You have to understand the reality in Albania.
The real question to make is why a part of coban comunity make aliance with greeks against Albania?
I have to tell you that betewen Albania and Romania is a long story of friendship and we have full respect to the romanian people.
open the books and read guys.

Mar 2014
Goettingen
If those Romanian schools abroad led to the distortion of Aromanian dialect it means they were very successful amongst Aromanians, who crowded to learn there. Djuvara Neagu Djuvara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is a seniled mediocrity who writes and tells from platitudes to aberrations. Do you know which was his first memorable experience after he came back to Romania? He fell in a latrine near Grădina Icoanei http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grădina_Icoanei.
I like that - this is a good reason for revising the whole history of the country :zany:

Mar 2014
Goettingen
The real question to make is why a part of coban comunity make aliance with greeks against Albania?
I have to tell you that betewen Albania and Romania is a long story of friendship and we have full respect to the romanian people.
open the books and read guys.
First of all, they have a name - they are not a profession, like you say: coban. Now about the interference of the Greek, it has been discussed here repeatedly, that Greek ambasee employees offere a retirement to Aromanians in Albanian willing to declare themselves Greek. Some are dignified and refuse, some accept for the money. This is a scandal that has been revealed by Romanian press - I don't know if it was known in Albania. But the scandal was of course revealed first by the Aromanian community so there is space for questioning your perception of "making aliance against Albania". Things are more complicated there ... I asked over again here, why would the broke Greek state pay retirement to non-Greeks in Albania - but received no answer. Yet - it is quite certainly a fact.

Similar History Discussions