Aromanians

Afrasiyab

Ad Honorem
Sep 2007
The other day I was reading about the Manaki Brothers, the first persons who brought cinema to Southeast Europe, and by extension to the Ottoman Empire. (I am translating the website of the Turkish Cinema Association). By their name, I thought they were Greek as one of the brothers is called Yanaki but the other was called Milton so that could not be a Greek name so I read and found out that they were ethnic Aromanians. Pardon my ignorance but I thought what we called Ulah (Vlach) in the Ottoman Empire disappeared into the the depths of history. It turns out they did not. They are quite a big community, especially for a stateless ethnicity.

what are the differences between Romanians and Aromanians? I read in Greece they deny to be identified as a different ethnicity and consider themselves as part of the greater Hellenic peoples. There are sizeable Aromanian minorities in Albania, Macedonia (Bitola is generally associated with the Manaki brothers and there is a film festival and a cinema award after their name in Macedonia the country), Romania and in Russia. They really attracted my attention.

Last edited:

Perix

Ad Honoris
Dec 2009
Romania
Some of them were the "avangarde" of progress in Otoman Empire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscopole

Unfortunately, the Ottomans, instead to take advantage and to use them and other like them as progress "engine" for the Empire, concluded that their cultural & economic progress represent a danger for the empire, and destroyed their achievements

Aug 2019
Albania
To me, the truest Aromanians are the Albanian Aromanians with their Cromagnon and African DNA and their summetrically long-rammus, widely open and durably pronounced 90 degrees heavy all-strong jawline/jaw with their exteme volume of their gonial angles. The Greek Aromanians are kind of a joke and there are some mixed with gypsies and I have actually enough proof of that. Thank god I wasn't.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
To me, the truest Aromanians are the Albanian Aromanians with their Cromagnon and African DNA and their summetrically long-rammus, widely open and durably pronounced 90 degrees heavy all-strong jawline/jaw with their exteme volume of their gonial angles. The Greek Aromanians are kind of a joke and there are some mixed with gypsies and I have actually enough proof of that. Thank god I wasn't.

Discussion of DNA is NOT permitted on Historum. Take your prejudices elsewhere.

Similiar History Discussions History Forum Date
European History
European History

Similar History Discussions