Asian Self Mummification

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
In parts of Tibet and Japan, Buddhist monks would commit an act of suicide that would leave their bodies preserved in a form of non-wrapped mummification.

In Tibet, the monks would sit in a lotus position with a belt attached from their legs to their throats that would slowly suffocate them as they passed out from lack of food/ sleep. The rarified climate so high in the Himalayas would mummify the bodies.

In Japan, the Sokushinbutsu would prepare a regimen over 1000 days. It consisted of eating seeds and nuts and wood bark while they exercised rigorously to remove fat from their bodies. Towards the end, they would start to drinl a poisonous solution that was to render the body inedible by maggots. When the time arrived to finish the act, they would sit in an stone tomb only big enough for them to sit in the lotus position. For the Monks, their only contact with the outside was a small tube to allow in air, and a bell that the monk would ring daily to leth others know he was still alive. When the bell was no longer heard, the air tube would be removed and the tomb sealed. The monk would be left for another 1000 days upon which the tomb was opened, and if the mummification was successful, the monk was seen as a Buddha and displayed in the monestary.

Mar 2009
Hofheim, Germany
That is.... amazing!

I assume the monks would not be able to unstrap the belt after it has been put on? Because surely survival instincts would kick in and they would try and free themselves?

That is not a way I would want to die. It must have been horrible for them, no matter how much they have mentally prepared themselves.

gaius valerius

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Belgium
Did you not also have this method (I believe in the east) where they would kinda meditate/starve themselves to death, then shortly before the end drink a massive amount of salted water or so to preserve their body. Strange stuff indeed.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Did you not also have this method (I believe in the east) where they would kinda meditate/starve themselves to death, then shortly before the end drink a massive amount of salted water or so to preserve their body. Strange stuff indeed.
Sounds very similar to how the Japanese monks accomplished it.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
I wonder what your mindset needs to be to undergo this process, probably one reason it is so drawn out in the Japanese experiance. It gives one a chance to "fail" or in essence, back out.