Assam (India): 1.9 Million to Be Made Stateless

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
Something I have learned by living in several countries

ALWAYS have your papers in order, that is a life priority.... Not having the right papers is a recipe for potential disaster... No government or admnistration can be trusted to not introduce some idiotic new bureaucratic rules

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Something I have learned by living in several countries

ALWAYS have your papers in order, that is a life priority.... Not having the right papers is a recipe for potential disaster... No government or admnistration can be trusted to not introduce some idiotic new bureaucratic rules
These 1.9 million people are illegal immigrants from Bangladesh. The illegal immigration of Bangladesh to North Eastern and Eastern states of India has been a huge menace, there are reports illegal Bangladeshis even in far south of India like Kerala. Do you really think a country with widespread illiteracy and so conservative about birth control as religious taboo could have a successful population reduction.

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
"The courts have been accused of bias and their workings have often been opaque and riddled with inconsistencies.

For one thing, the burden of proof is on the accused or the alleged foreigner.

For another, many families are unable to produce documents due to poor record-keeping, illiteracy or because they lack the money to file a legal claim.

People have been declared foreigners by the courts because of differences in spellings of names or ages in voter rolls, and problems in getting identity documents certified by authorities. Amnesty International has described the work by the special courts as "shoddy and lackadaisical".

Journalist Rohini Mohan analysed more than 500 judgements by these courts in one district and found 82% of the people on trial had been declared foreigners. She also found more Muslims had been declared foreigners, and 78% of the orders were delivered without the accused being ever heard - the police said they were "absconding", but Mohan found many of them living in their villages and unaware they had been declared foreigners.

"The Foreigners Tribunal," she says, "must be made more transparent and accountable."

A decorated Indian army veteran, Mohammed Sanaullah spent 11 days in a detention camp in June after being declared a "foreigner", prompting national outrage."

(From the link in the OP)

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
These 1.9 million people are illegal immigrants from Bangladesh. The illegal immigration of Bangladesh to North Eastern and Eastern states of India has been a huge menace, there are reports illegal Bangladeshis even in far south of India like Kerala. Do you really think a country with widespread illiteracy and so conservative about birth control as religious taboo could have a successful population reduction.
Bangladesh's TFR did significantly decline in recent decades, no?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
That's par for the course for India.
Yeah, I mean, given the small numbers (1.9 million is a drop in the bucket in a 1.3 billion country), one does wonder whether this effort is actually worth it. I'd also say the same thing about Israel's deportation of Sub-Saharan Africans.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
So is it part of a larger project to cleanse/decrease the number of Muslims in India?

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
So is it part of a larger project to cleanse/decrease the number of Muslims in India?
There are so many Muslims in India (200 million in total, I think) that any efforts to reduce their numbers to any meaningful extent would be quite difficult, no?

Reactions: rvsakhadeo