Assassination of war leaders

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
When the opportunity arose to kill Yamamoto part of the debate centered on the legality of assassination, was such an attack an assassination or was it a legitimate act of war, etc? They went ahead with it and got him.
Where was there any debate? 'Operation Vengeance' was planned and executed within 4 days of the intelligence intercept regarding Yamamoto's trip. There was no time for debate even if anyone had felt the need.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Yamamoto was a military operation against a military asset ,no different from bombing a field headquarters hoping to get someone
anyway Generals send poor young men to die , they are all in the same job ,brotherhood in arms and all that

machine gunning a locomotive driver on a raid over Germany , or drowning Ruhr coal miners by blowing dams seems to be OK , it's not personal

were it get blurry is the assassination of a politician , public servant , scientist or engineer in anticipation of some benefit .

I'd say go for it , war is murder

Aug 2015
uk
This reminds me of Wellington's supposed response when being told that Napoleon was in range of their guns at Waterloo "It is not the business of commanders to fire on each other". I wonder if Nap had been killed at the beginning of the day, would the battle even have taken place? I mean, without their charismatic Emperor, there was little reason for the French to fight.

Oct 2016
Merryland
This reminds me of Wellington's supposed response when being told that Napoleon was in range of their guns at Waterloo "It is not the business of commanders to fire on each other". I wonder if Nap had been killed at the beginning of the day, would the battle even have taken place? I mean, without their charismatic Emperor, there was little reason for the French to fight.
good point. removal of a Churchill or Hitler doesn't change the nation, but Napoleonic France was totally about Bonaparte. very different situation.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
I didn't know that, but am not surprised. Wellington was simply being a gentleman , that would not have been seen as odd by other gentlemen officers. So sure how it would have been seen by the canon fodder of the rank and file.

George Patton allegedly believed he was the reincarnation of Alexander The Great.

I understand how killing Hitler may have just fragmented the situation. Would hitlers death, in say 1940 had a dampening effect on the Holocaust?. My understanding is that Hitler committed crucial resources to wiping out Jews right to the end. Not sure any of the Nazi leaders apart from Himmler were as violently anti semitic.Pretty sure Goring wasn't . (can somebody tell me how to insert an umlaut with my mac keyboard?)

Similar History Discussions