Assyrian race

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
Have you ever talked to a kurd ?

Can you somehow prove kurds are medes ?
How did medes become kurds ?

Assyria, Syria, Syriacs, soroyo, suryoyo, suraya. You see the link ?

Prove here to:

New findings shows the link between Syria/Suroye and Assyria/Asuroye | Assyrians [Syriacs]
Yes, I live part of the time in Iraqi Kurdistan. The idea that Kurds are descended from the Medes is a theory that I think Minorsky came up with and I’m not promoting it or against it. I wouldn’t reject it just on the basis of, how did Medes become Kurds. How did Saxons become English?

Aug 2018
sweden
Yes, I live part of the time in Iraqi Kurdistan. The idea that Kurds are descended from the Medes is a theory that I think Minorsky came up with and I’m not promoting it or against it. I wouldn’t reject it just on the basis of, how did Medes become Kurds. How did Saxons become English?
Let them be medes or whatever they want. They still don´t got the right to steal other peoples history or land. The medes cant even compete whit the mesopotamians. The mesoptians invention have done much for the world. Have the medes even one invention ?

I have to thank the kurds for my interest in Assyrian history. When you read kurdish history it seem to have alot similaritys whit the Assyrians. I found out the that they "steal" Assyrian history and are proud to say they conquered the Assyrian barbarians and know they will conquer all other middle eastern barbarians. The Assyrians was not barbarians. The medes by them self would never be able to conquere Assyria.

I got the sense that you are kurdish, i lift my hat for you. You write in a civilized way.

Kurdish people, claim they are descendants of the Medes, who were Indo-Europeans. Related to the Persians and the Parthians, so they may have connections with Europeans speaking from a genetic point of view (R1b and R1a). However they are not "ancestors" of Europeans. Europe was populated from the Neolithic/Chalcolithic ages most likely from Near Eastern migrants and native stock. Mix these folks with some Indo-European waves migration(4200–1000 BC), and you'd get the Europeans.

Assyrians on the other hand display more Mesopotamian origin(genetically) which is related to the Babylonians, Sumerians, Akkadians, Aramaens and Chaldeans. They mostly share the haplogroup J1.

Note: I added these genetic information to give the reader a bigger idea. I do not intend to open any discussion about genetics bearing in mind it is forbidden.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I thought the early Kurds developed in Urartu, the Kingdom of Van, which was destroyed by the Medes.

Armour from Urartu:

Fortress at Lake Van

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Over the centuries most Assyrians had been assimilated as Arabs and their population is so low similar to Berber people in North Africa.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
From what I have read, those who call themselves Assyrian are mostly Christian in religion, and the identity as "Assyrian " likely religious in origin for modern people's. When the Muslim conquered the Mideast, many of the Aramaic speaking people who adopted Islam aslo adopted the Arabic language and identity, while those who retained the Christian religion also retained the Assyrian language and ethnic identity. You see the same thing with the Coptics in Egypt. Those Egyptians who adopted Islam became Arabs, those who retained Christianity maintained a Coptic identity, and use of Coptic language.

Jul 2015
Illinois
Yes there are several Middle Eastern Christian groups who identify as Assyrians and rightly so. I'm one of them. As some of you may know, the neo-Assyrian empire adopted the Aramaic alphabet and language and used it and spread it throughout their empire. That's why there are a few million of us Assyrians, around the world, who still speak one dialect or another of Aramaic (also known as Syriac or neo-Syriac). Some of us prefer to identify as Chaldeans or Syriacs, but we are the same people, same culture and language. We have a unique culture, rituals, music, etc. You should try to attend Assyrian (Chaldean or Syriac) church or events, you would be welcomed and you would enjoy it.

Similar History Discussions