Assyrian race

Sep 2014
Texas
Although the Assyrian civilization was conquered, the people did not die out and were simply absorbed into another group. Their descendants are still around, the same with the Hittites and Illyrians and ancient Egyptians. I have often speculated SOME surviving Hittites made their way to Ireland. So it is very possible Assyrian women made their way into Persian harems to unify the conquered people. History is full of people joining friendly neighbors.

Oct 2018
Bangalore,India
I've seen Kurdish women/soldiers who do show a mixed ethnicity. View attachment 14714 View attachment 14715
Exactly! Most people use the homogeneous Northern and Western Europe as a yardstick to deduce ethnic compositions of the regions far more diverse than that. It's quite silly IMO! And even these Homogeneous nations also have at least some different origins.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Mostly what I have read is that Hittites & Mitanni (well at least the elite Mitanni aristocracy, but perhaps not necessarily the general Mitanni populace, who are mostly believed to have been Hurrian AFAIK) were Indo-Europeans/Indo-Iranians, while Assyrians were a Semitic people.

Point is, Assyrians were contemporareously co-existing & interacting with the both of them for a substantial period of time. So, there would have been loads of inter-breeding between the three.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess this is a bit like there were the once humongous Scythian confederation, mostly Indo-Iranian but also believed to also have possibly included some Asiatic Turkic components. They very likely interbred, so that at least some of today's Turkic people could also claim part descent from Indo-Iranic Scythians.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
I've seen Kurdish women/soldiers who do show a mixed ethnicity. View attachment 14714 View attachment 14715
This is a song vid featuring two young Assyrian singers, Ashtar Nano & Shameram Apram.

The name Ashtar obviously a variant of Ishtar, and Shameram a variant of the ancient Shammu-Rammat (i. e. Semiramis). Now these two girls, in the right garb, would fit in quite easily into your platoon of Kurdish female peshmerga, I reckon.

Now, again someone correct me if I'm wrong, the current Kurds are kind of roughly in the same region as the original home of the ancient Medes, who were initially vassal to the Assyrians, but eventually rose to vanquish them. So, Kurds maybe have combined Medean-Assyrian lineage?

Last edited:
Jun 2012
Malaysia
Having said those, we do not know with absolute certainty the exact period in history when the precise ethnogeneses of Indo-European, Indo-Iranian & Semitic peoples occurred, and the particular connections between them.

My personal belief is that the Semitic people - including the Assyrians - first formed as a hybrid at some point in time between southern Europoid, Indo-Iranian and northern & northeastern Afroid. You could even throw in some Pelasgian into that mix, I guess.

I do not have that much knowledge about the Sumerians, but from what I have read they were a pretty mixed up bag as well. Although my natural tendency is to believe that they first sprang as a hybrid between Australoid & Indo-Iranian, kind of in a similar way to the Dravidians.

Last edited:
Jul 2015
Illinois
This is a song vid featuring two young Assyrian singers, Ashtar Nano & Shameram Apram.

The name Ashtar obviously a variant of Ishtar, and Shameram a variant of the ancient Shammu-Rammat (i. e. Semiramis). Now these two girls, in the right garb, would fit in quite easily into your platoon of Kurdish female peshmerga, I reckon.

Now, again someone correct me if I'm wrong, the current Kurds are kind of roughly in the same region as the original home of the ancient Medes, who were initially vassal to the Assyrians, but eventually rose to vanquish them. So, Kurds maybe have combined Medean-Assyrian lineage?
I don't know about Medean ancestry but Kurds definitely have at least some Assyrian genes. The same can be said of Iraqi Arabs in the North of the country. When Assyrian villagers were taken as prisoners, they eventually we're absorbed. Assyrian women were definitely taken prisoner and would have been married off. The Assyrian men were usually killed in battle or murdered outright. There are such recorded accounts from WWI. So we can assume this happened throughout history. Which is why the Kurds and Arabs increased and Assyrians dwindled. Some Assyrian villages would have been entirely converted to Islam, either by Arabs or Kurds. They were absorbed and lost their Assyrianness.

Similar History Discussions