at what point was Germany the mightiest?

at what point was Germany the mightiest?

Votes: 9 17.3%

Votes: 14 26.9%

Votes: 24 46.2%

Votes: 11 21.2%

• Total voters
Status
Closed

WeisSaul

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
New Amsterdam
1914. It defeated Russia for G-d's sake. History's number one rule is never to attack Russia, because it never ends well. The Germans broke that rule and it actually ended pretty good for them, considering Russia ceded the baltics, Belarus, and Ukraine to them. Plus, Austria-Hungary was nothing more than a German satellite at the time.

It took Britain, France, Italy, Russia, and the United States to defeat the German Empire. Without US involvement, WW1 would have ended with a stalemate in the west, and a massive German expansion in the east.

Zeno

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
♪♬ ♫♪♩
I still think the 5th and 6th centuries AD should have been an option. Germans ruled Iberia, France, Italy, England, ...

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
1914. It defeated Russia for G-d's sake. History's number one rule is never to attack Russia, because it never ends well. The Germans broke that rule and it actually ended pretty good for them, considering Russia ceded the baltics, Belarus, and Ukraine to them. Plus, Austria-Hungary was nothing more than a German satellite at the time.

It took Britain, France, Italy, Russia, and the United States to defeat the German Empire. Without US involvement, WW1 would have ended with a stalemate in the west, and a massive German expansion in the east.
Russia defeated itself my dear WeisSaul,
1917 saw the eastern front in a bad state for the Central powers, Austro Hungaria was on the brink of collapse, Rumania joined the war on the entente side and Brusilov threatened the very borders of the Austro-Hunagrian empire.

Russias population simply didn't want to continue the war.
They were by not military defeated.

WWI would not have ended in a stalemate, the Central powers situation in 1917-1918 was very bad.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
WOW! Complete fantasy about the Nazi economy. Jewish Banking cartels, really? Right up their with the Protocols of the elders of Zion.

"the German government financed its entire operations from 1935 to 1945 without gold, and without debt" Not true.Nazi Germany used it's gold reserves, then Austria;s gold reserves, then Czech gold reserves.

Other countries had reduced unemployment by similar amounts, Germany the effectswere worse as the Wiemar republic was spending more than it had, thus relying of foreign loans which when they were no longer available lead to a much more unemployment. Nazi program of higher taxes, lower wages, massive government spending

Jun 2012
In the burning south
Germany was arguably at its strongest point relative to the other powers in 1914 for several reasons. Firstly it was only in 1914 that it had a navy that could truly match other great powers and by the end of the decade could have possibly matched that of Britain. Whereas in 1941 despite the massive Battle cruisers that Hitler wanted built its surface fleet was weak.

Also in 1914 it possessed the advantage of colonies from which is could extract wealth, something it did not have in 1941 and was forced to get raw materials from the USSR.

Furthermore in 1914 compared with the main industrial power that was America its population was 70% as large as the American one. 65M vs 92M. By 1941 it was only 54% as large 70M vs 131M.

Jun 2012
Ireland
1871, Bismarck had three victorious wars under his belt. Unification was now complete under Prussian control and he'd begun to set in trail alliances with Austria and Russia to defend that position. The future was brighter in 1871 than it had been at any other times listed.

Sep 2006
Korea (but I'm American!)
Now. At all other points that were mentioned, Germany had real enemies. In 2012 I can't think of any great power that has Germany it its sights. It has good relations with France, Italy, Turkey, Russia, UK, China, and the US. Nobody is trying to bring it down or even thinking about it. Germany doesn't have much military power to threaten anyone with and it's borders are secure. And it's influence in Europe is now the best it has ever been.

Jun 2012
USA
I was tempted to vote 1941, but I really think Germany was in a much weaker position in 1941 than anyone realized. The lack of oil alone is enough to concern me. I chose 1871 because Germany defeated France and did not seem vulnerable. 1914 Germany was vulnerable like 1941 because they had many enemies. Today, the whole world seems vulnerable because of the debt crisis.

Sep 2006
Korea (but I'm American!)
1914 was a very dangerous time for Germany. Surrounded and it's existence hung by a thread and a prayer that it could, if a war occured, beat France quickly and face Russia. That was not a good position to be in. It was one of the worst scenarios imaginable for a country to be in I think.

1871, Germany wasn't very strong. It wasn't very unified yet and it had a permanent enemy on it's western border that would do anything for revenge. It was not the economic powerhouse that it would grow into yet.

1941, depending on the time of year, wasn't a good situation either. It's airforce wasn't in good shape and it faced the Soviet Union which if it didn't attack would eventually attack it. Soon after invading the Soviet Union the Army realized that they had made a mistake as they were running into units that they didn't know existed. It was another dangerous situation forced on Germany.

Jun 2012
Ireland
In 1914 the German High Command of the day felt that it was now or never in terms of facing France and Russia. They believed that by 1916 the French and Russians would be in a far stronger position than them militarily. Of course gambling to have quick victories in the Autumn of 1914 was a big blunder. The Russian's mobilised quicker than expected and the Belgian Army resisted the invading German's (surprise, surprise). Then of course the Kaiser had it in his head that the British would not intervene, showing that his diplomatic skills were nowhere near those of Bismarck. Of course his poor diplomatic skills alienated Germany from Russia which set the train the alliances that sparked war in 1914.

Status
Closed