at what point was Germany the mightiest?

at what point was Germany the mightiest?

Votes: 9 17.3%

Votes: 14 26.9%

Votes: 24 46.2%

Votes: 11 21.2%

• Total voters
Status
Closed
Jun 2012
Hong Kong
How can we discuss the mightiest year of Germany without including Frederick the Great's reign? I personally would believe that Germany was mightiest in 1766 after Frederick's victory over the Austrians.

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
How can we discuss the mightiest year of Germany without including Frederick the Great's reign? I personally would believe that Germany was mightiest in 1766 after Frederick's victory over the Austrians.
Because I want to talk about Germany, not Prussia.
Even tough their history is much entwined.
Besides that Prussia at that time was not as powerful as France, Russia or Britain.

Jan 2010
In terms of share of world GDP I'm guessing it was around 1890-1910. Its share of GDP may have been temporarily higher under the 3rd Reich but as its output was being spent on a losing arms race that doesn't count as real power in my view.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I went with 1941. Yes, the 2nd Reich was mighty, but could the armed forces of Imperial Germany have accomplished what Nazi Germany did? With Italy as an ally, Germany was virtually fighting single handedly in Europe. If Hitler had not attacked the Soviets or sued for some sort of peace when he had the initial advantage, who knows how long Germany would have held and/or controlled their conquered lands? I also wonder what if Japan did not attack the U.S. Would the U.S. have entered the war? I think not. Thus, it would have been Britain alone, incapable of attacking the continent with many land soldiers. Perhaps Stalin would have eventually attacked the German occupied lands in the east, although I would think time would have allowed the Germans to develop some of those extreme weapons that they were close to producing in 1945.
EDIT: I just realized this is an old thread. I think the only poster on this thread still present is Naomosa.

Status
Closed