Atia mosque of Bangladesh.

Mar 2019
KL
i dont think there has been any in depth study of either afghani architecture or indian architecture or even persian architecture.

what has been declared as afghani style is the use of pointed arches, but now we definitely know that those arches which have been declared afghani were already used in the indian architecture in the pre islamic periods.

the prominent feature of afghani architecture is the persian element such as glazed tile work, ewan which are all completely persian.

british colonial era art historian have declared pre mughal north indian indo islamic architecture as afghani style, but i think a very similar architecture has been replicated already in pre islamic bagan temple architecture from burma.

having in depth discussion of what is characteristically afghan and indian or what kind of indian architecture already existed before the islamic intrusion will enable us to understand what's foreign influence and whats local element.

Afghani architecture in itself may have owed a lot to indian elements from the buddhist era. we dont know anything about afghan architecture in the pre islamic periods before arab/western influence.

this architecture which you have posted is a typical bengal sultanate period architecture especially from gauda, there is nothing characteristically afghan about it, or if it is, i would like you to point that out.

1559633904323.png

regards

Last edited:

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
Apart from the dome, the rest of the structure is local architectural style. Only since Mughal era did Bangladeshi architecture acquire Persian/Turkic features.

Jun 2019
Afghanistan originally
Apart from the dome, the rest of the structure is local architectural style. Only since Mughal era did Bangladeshi architecture acquire Persian/Turkic features.

Thanks, this mosque was built in 17th century so I thought that architecture style of this mosque is very Bengadesi-Afghan with some mughal touches.

Is there any other mosque in Bangladesh of Native+Afghan architecture style ?

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
Thanks, this mosque was built in 17th century so I thought that architecture style of this mosque is very Bengadesi-Afghan with some mughal touches.

Is there any other mosque in Bangladesh of Native+Afghan architecture style ?
There many examples of similar architectural style as Atia mosque:
Baba Adam's Mosque - Wikipedia
Pathrail Mosque - Wikipedia
Sixty Dome Mosque - Wikipedia
Goaldi Mosque - Wikipedia

All these date before late 17th century. Once the Mughal architectural style took root:
Lalbagh Fort - Wikipedia
Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque - Wikipedia
Sat Gambuj Mosque - Wikipedia

As you can see mosque architecture took an entirely different look.

Mar 2019
KL
there is nothing ''persian'' about the mughal architcture as well, it is the continuation of dehli sultanate architecture which itself is probably the continuation of pre islamic north indin architecture which itself is probably contemporary with central asian and afghani architecture which itself maybe a continuation of a hindu buddhist tradition of NW india with some new periodic innovations along the way.

the mughal architecture in bengal itself looks like a cross btw rajput, north indian/indo islamic and east indian/bengali architecture, the chatri dome above one of the corner towers are pretty rajput characteristic while the paneling is pretty bengali/sultanate period.

the bengali architecture of sultanate period itself maybe of a local variety from a specific south bengal region because we dont see that in the ahom architecture.

regards

Last edited:
Jun 2019
Afghanistan originally
There many examples of similar architectural style as Atia mosque:
Baba Adam's Mosque - Wikipedia
Pathrail Mosque - Wikipedia
Sixty Dome Mosque - Wikipedia
Goaldi Mosque - Wikipedia

All these date before late 17th century. Once the Mughal architectural style took root:
Lalbagh Fort - Wikipedia
Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque - Wikipedia
Sat Gambuj Mosque - Wikipedia

As you can see mosque architecture took an entirely different look.
Thanks bro, bengladesi architecture 8s superior to blend Mughal architecture in my opinion.

can you share any example of Khilji era architectureof Bengal Kingdom as I have relationship with Khalji tribe.

I look up to bakhtiyar khalji as my hero because how much he achieved in his life, if I am not wrong he is considered a hero in Bangladesh as well.

Similar History Discussions