Attempts to Reconcile the Catholic and Orthodox Churches

Pacific_Victory

Ad Honorem
Oct 2011
MARE PACIFICVM
I was just listening to a History podcast, and they mentioned that Tsar Alexander I, who was an admirer of Catholicism, sent a secret message to the Pope asking about possible reconciliation between the two Churches.

This was in the 1800s! I thought that all attempts had ceased in the Middle Ages. Have there been other attempts that we know of, say after 1200?

Jun 2015
The Former British Empire
Ooh, that's interesting!! What history podcast was it?

I think it's possible, though I don't know of any specific examples, sorry...

Pacific_Victory

Ad Honorem
Oct 2011
MARE PACIFICVM
I'm not sure if you speak French KD, but here it is:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9_JxhE9NiQ[/ame]

Starting around 23:45

Space Shark

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Redneck Country, AKA Texas
I was just listening to a History podcast, and they mentioned that Tsar Alexander I, who was an admirer of Catholicism, sent a secret message to the Pope asking about possible reconciliation between the two Churches.

This was in the 1800s! I thought that all attempts had ceased in the Middle Ages. Have there been other attempts that we know of, say after 1200?
I can't recall anything serious between 1200 and the sixties, though I'm sure there were tries that failed.

Tsar

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
Serbia
Well, there were Councils of Lyon (1274) and of Florence (1439), but those attempts were limited to the Byzantine Empire and were unsuccessful for a multitude of reasons. There are also so-called Greek Catholics.

Feb 2016
Athens,Greece
Well, there were Councils of Lyon (1274) and of Florence (1439), but those attempts were limited to the Byzantine Empire and were unsuccessful for a multitude of reasons. There are also so-called Greek Catholics.
There are Greek Catholics and Byzantine Catholics.
We should distinguish.

Feb 2016
Athens,Greece
I think he is talking about groups of orthodox christians who united with Rome, keeping their orthodox rite however. Such as many romanians in Transylvania.
That means Byzantine Catholic or Catholics of Greek Rite.
They have acted continuously against Orthodox interests and are manipulated by the Western mafia from time to time to attack the Orthodox World.

Greek Catholic in Greece usually means those that inhabit the Cyclades Islands complex and are Catholic 100%,which means they follow Latin Rite.
It is rumored that a large part of them are of Jewish stock.
They also sided themselves with Italians during WWII and never took part in the Greek uprising against the Ottoman Empire.

In my opinion a reconciliation amidst Orthodox and Catholic countries will come in favor of the Latins.
I totally reject it and I support strong ties amidst Orthodox World, Shia Islam, Buddhists,Hindus,Shinto etc.

We Orthodox can find good people in the Far East.
The corrupt Catholic/Judeo-Protestant World views us as White Africans and fulfill their colonial agenda.