Australia is burning

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
There has also been a lot of money raised overseas by various charities, and the US networks are running nightly updates. I saw an interesting stat the other day that before this latest outbreak so far 3 times the amount of country burned out by the recent fires in the Amazon.
Can you clarify your sentence.. 3 times what , where

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
Can you clarify your sentence.. 3 times what , where
You may recall there was some terrible fires that ravaged the Amazon basin in Brazil during the summer of 2019. Well the combined area of all the fires in Australia has exceeded those fires by a factor of three

As an update I was told the figure is now three times the total amount of fire damages suffered in Brazil and California during the summer of 2019

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
You may recall there was some terrible fires that ravaged the Amazon basin in Brazil during the summer of 2019. Well the combined area of all the fires in Australia has exceeded those fires by a factor of three

As an update I was told the figure is now three times the total amount of fire damages suffered in Brazil and California during the summer of 2019
Ok thanks.... It seems quite a bit since Australia is about 20% smaller than Brazil and has much less forest area (17% of land areas vs 64%)

I remember that some people were trying to claim that the brazilian fires were due to their new president's policies... But this seems to show that extent of fires is not so much policy dependent as weather dependent....

Jan 2020
Seattle
I don't think it's man made climate change, don't forget that we are in a warming period on the geological time scale. The world is changing true. I think that what this is a result of is bad management of the forests. I've heard a lot of news about how it's forbidden to practice controlled burning in the winters in Australia for the last 10 years. Fire is natures broom. When too much trash collects on the forest floors this is what happens.

I'm seeing a repeat of what has been happening in California. People didn't want the "inconvenience" of controlled burning, the environmentalists didn't want it either. Look what they have today.

Let nature do it's thing or suffer the consequences.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
I've heard a lot of news about how it's forbidden to practice controlled burning in the winters in Australia for the last 10 years. Fire is natures broom. When too much trash collects on the forest floors this is what happens.
So who ever told you that is wrong.

An important element for Australia is the bush has evolved to burn. Many species of trees need fire to aid germination. And some have adapted to literally explode into flames when fire is near. Adding to the misery at then moment is large swaths of the country are in bad drought conditions. About once a generation everything combines to create truely explosive conditions. The last outbreak approaching this magnitude was 1994.

Reactions: Iraq Bruin

pugsville

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
So who ever told you that is wrong.

An important element for Australia is the bush has evolved to burn. Many species of trees need fire to aid germination. And some have adapted to literally explode into flames when fire is near. Adding to the misery at then moment is large swaths of the country are in bad drought conditions. About once a generation everything combines to create truely explosive conditions. The last outbreak approaching this magnitude was 1994.

Hazard reduction burns generally cannot happen in winter, things are not dry enough to burn. It's a very delicate choice when to do so, you need it dry enough to burn but not so much it can get out of control. These bruns can often get out of control. It;s veyr mcuh dammned if you do and dammed if you don;t for the fire services. They plan these carefully and have a plan about what they wnantto do but often conditions like these year prevent these plans as the burns are just too hazardous.

Species adapted for fire as part of the cycle, a may not be adapted for the intensity of these recnet fires, nor the frequency of areas being burnt. There is some evidence that these fores are way beyond normal.

There are all sorts of flow ons from large scale bush fires, the lack of vegitation means the areas oftren cannot retain water they did before, so there is a lot of run off whihc can flow into water resioisers for human drinking water with contamination from fire residue.