Australian (??) report: China could overwhelm US military in Asia in hours

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
China could overwhelm US in military first strike, Australian report says - CNN

China could overwhelm US military in Asia in hours, Australian report says

The US military is no longer the primary force in Asia, and missiles from China's rapidly improving military could overwhelm its bases in hours, according to a new report.
The study by the United States Study Center, at the University of Sydney, in Australia, warned that America's defense strategy in the Indo-Pacific region "is in the throes of an unprecedented crisis" and could struggle to defend its allies against China.

That means Australia, Japan and other US partners need to build up and refocus their forces in the region, and consider increased cooperation with the US, to ensure their security, the study claimed.

"China has deployed a formidable array of precision missiles and other counter-intervention systems to undercut America's military primacy," the report states. Those missiles number in the thousands, the report says.
Almost all US military installations in the Western Pacific, as well as those of its key partners and allies, "could be rendered useless by precision strikes in the opening hours of a conflict," according to the report.

How much truth is there to this "sensational" title ? And what expertise do the australians have on this topic ?

Jul 2019
New Jersey
The Japanese were able to do the same thing at the outset of WWII. This is inevitable, since Asia is their backyard and we're overseas. What's more relevant is how CHina would fare when the US strikes back - and I suspect they wouldn't do very well at all.

Jul 2017
Europe
Conventional warfare is nowadays obsolete. What we have today is the advancement of the cyber warfare, which is much more complex than the conventional one. The other thing are the trade wars. If you are as powerful as USA or China, you have enough leverage to impose sanctions or various taxes which in turn would make the other side to negotiate. In the future, trade and cyber wars would become even more widespread and the conventional warfare could easily fall into forgetfulness, at lest when it comes to developed nations.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Conventional warfare is nowadays obsolete. What we have today is the advancement of the cyber warfare, which is much more complex than the conventional one. The other thing are the trade wars. If you are as powerful as USA or China, you have enough leverage to impose sanctions or various taxes which in turn would make the other side to negotiate. In the future, trade and cyber wars would become even more widespread and the conventional warfare could easily fall into forgetfulness, at lest when it comes to developed nations.
I don't think so. While I don't deny that cyber warfare is becoming ever more significant, I don't think there's any cyber replacement for boots on the ground.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
This isn't history... or military history... yet... unless we use the terms such as "history of the present" or "history on the making".

Maybe it is better to call it Current Events, better to the Current Events subforum.

Aug 2009
Londinium
I don't think so. While I don't deny that cyber warfare is becoming ever more significant, I don't think there's any cyber replacement for boots on the ground.
I wouldn't be so sure since the process of getting those boots produced, delivered, fitted onto soldiers then deploying those soldiers to the right location at the right time (which requires a highly developed intel network) is almost entirely at the mercy of cyber attacks.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
The Japanese were able to do the same thing at the outset of WWII. This is inevitable, since Asia is their backyard and we're overseas. What's more relevant is how CHina would fare when the US strikes back - and I suspect they wouldn't do very well at all.
I thought the same. China could overwhelm the American defenses around the Pacific region in a few hours if it makes a surprise attack, but could China stand their military superiority when the US - and its allies - strikes back?

Jul 2019
New Jersey
I wouldn't be so sure since the process of getting those boots produced, delivered, fitted onto soldiers then deploying those soldiers to the right location at the right time (which requires a highly developed intel network) is almost entirely at the mercy of cyber attacks.
I own a gun. You do not have power over me unless you can potentially get more or better guns into my town.

You can't govern (and by extension control) a territory unless you've got a presence on the ground. Wars (at least territorial wars) are ultimately about taking control of a territory, ergo you're going to need sufficient boots on the ground.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
This isn't history... or military history... yet... unless we use the terms such as "history of the present" or "history on the making".

Maybe it is better to call it Current Events, better to the Current Events subforum.
It is history in the sense that it has happened...And it is military....We've had threads on the F 35 for example

The report is out and the chinese missiles are in place.... An interesting sub question is how many of these they have and what is their production capacity plus what is their real capability

Aug 2009
Londinium
I own a gun. You do not have power over me unless you can potentially get more or better guns into my town.

You can't govern (and by extension control) a territory unless you've got a presence on the ground. Wars (at least territorial wars) are ultimately about taking control of a territory, ergo you're going to need sufficient boots on the ground.
What if I can prevent you from pulling the trigger, or reloading the gun (i.e. what if your gun is subject to a crippling cyber attack?

I do agree with your general premise, but also recognize that warfare has changed drastically and China could target the US mainland without having a single boot across the Pacific.

Similar History Discussions