Austria bans Hijab from primary schools, Islamic intolerance on the rise in as extremists rise to power in Europe?

Status
Closed
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
"as europe's economy declines, people are voting for extremist right wings" : Austria's economy is not declining, it has grown every year except two for the last forty years, by 2.7% last year, and it a rich country, coming below 15th by GDP per capita.

Jul 2016
USA
the hypocrisy becomes apparent when religious intolerance becomes a norm even in your country who wants to appear champion of human rights and religious rights and democracy.

regards
When the right in discussion the feminist is defending is the oppression of women. LOLOLOL

Tough decisions:
1) Appear as champion to potential new voting block, through more identity politics in eternal quest for more diversity.
2) Defend women's right to not have to wear demeaning headscarfs, to appear pure and not get assaulted/raped.

Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
For many Muslims tolerance seems to be a one-way street.
That's true today, but the ME used to be a much more tolerant place. When I lived there in the 80s and 90s, one of my friends was Jewishm and as long as he didn't mention his religion, there wasn't a problem, even though everyone knew they were Jewish. My school openly held Easter services and performed nativity plays (your truly was shephard no. 3), and it was absolutely fine. I don't know if that is the case any longer.

Jul 2016
USA
That's true today, but the ME used to be a much more tolerant place. When I lived there in the 80s and 90s, one of my friends was Jewishm and as long as he didn't mention his religion, there wasn't a problem, even though everyone knew they were Jewish. My school openly held Easter services and performed nativity plays (your truly was shephard no. 3), and it was absolutely fine. I don't know if that is the case any longer.
Secularism died by the 90s, and a major religious revival has been brewing hard and has erupted since.

Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
It is just another piece of the series of anti-muslim laws and proposals in Europe (maybe the first prominent one was in France 2004, when headsarves were banned there in public schools). Headscarves and women wearing them is a favourite target due to their visibility (mosques, minarets, halal food are other popular symbolical targets). Muslim women recieve the most daily harrasment (more than muslim men) on the streets in Europe from racists and islamophobes. I can only admire the courage of the muslim sisters who wear it and endure the daily persecution and stigmatization coming with it. May Allah reward them for their bravery.

Jul 2015
Netherlands
Austria approves headscarf ban in primary schools

my analysis is that as europe's economy declines, people are voting for extremist right wings who are increasing islamophobia, and targetting the religion to gather more political support

regards
People are not voting for extremist parties, they are voting for parties that do something against the problems with immigration and Islamic harassment in particular.

Jul 2015
Netherlands
It is just another piece of the series of anti-muslim laws and proposals in Europe (maybe the first prominent one was in France 2004, when headsarves were banned there in public schools). Headscarves and women wearing them is a favourite target due to their visibility (mosques, minarets, halal food are other popular symbolical targets). Muslim women recieve the most daily harrasment (more than muslim men) on the streets in Europe from racists and islamophobes. I can only admire the courage of the muslim sisters who wear it and endure the daily persecution and stigmatization coming with it. May Allah reward them for their bravery.
Pfft try walking around with a kippa in Antwerpen or Amsterdam. Or hand in hand with a guy for that matter.
You have to look really good for girls in hijab to be harassed and it not be a hoax. What I did see when on the bus from one of the areas is that the girls take off their scarf as soon as they think it is safe to do so and put it back on on the way back.

Aug 2015
USA
"Muslim sisters" are wearing headscarves or hijabs not out of their own choice, but mostly forced by men in their families and their communities.

Status
Closed