Austria bans Hijab from primary schools, Islamic intolerance on the rise in as extremists rise to power in Europe?

Status
Closed
Dec 2015
USA
I predict this thread will get derailed and drop into current politics, nevertheless here is my take on it:

As @betgo said above, this is a reaction to mass immigration, not some economic problems. I wouldn't call it Islamophobia as much as simple reactionary policies. I personally can't blame them, if I was a migrant in a foreign country, in this case Austria it is only natural that I should behave like an Austrian. With that I speak their language, follow their religion and behave like a citizen. It is one thing to have religious freedom and another to publicly behave like you are not in a foreign country. I personally can't see how, for lack of a better term ''enforcing naturalisation'' is Islamophobia.
I find two ways of viewing this,

- Hijabs are already in public fashion in one way or another and they exist in non Islamic fashions. Substitute the word Hijab for Hat and you can see for example at the Kentucky Derby the ladies would wear colorful and fashionable hats. Aside from that there are numerous types of headwear that men and women wear outside of religion that can to the onlooker appear as a religious piece of clothing even though it is not. There are fashion outliers in all countries also some are 5th generation of there country or more and they dress and act peacefully but differently from the average person of society, think of perhaps what some refer to as Gothic

-Supporting the banning of the Hijab means supporting banning all religious clothing of the minority religious cultures of Austria that are in the predominate Christian host country. Such a view is inline with some societies of history but certainly not all.

May 2014
SoCal
There is something in what you say, but I don't think that migrants should have to adopt the religion of their host country. The problem with Islam is that it doesn't fit in very well with the western idea of a secular state, and it is undesirable that Muslim immigrants should therefore form ghettos in which they live a different life and stand aside from the broad run of society. I don't approve of any banning of head-scarfs, but find it hard to disapprove of the French banning of face-coverings (although I wouldn't wish that in my own country). There is something comical in the idea that Austria should be taking lessons in tolerance from Muslim countries, in many of which abandonment of the religion for instance is punishable as a crime! For many Muslims tolerance seems to be a one-way street.
Banning face-coverings seems like a good idea since if one commits a crime, people are actually going to be able to see one's face. Hijabs, on the other hand, should not be banned. However, I would also advise women to think twice about the effects that hijabs could have; after all, they could ironically make them sexier since more of the body is going to be covered and is thus going to be perceived as taboo.

Jul 2011
It's OK for Muslims to grope women in swimming pools who aren't dressed appropriately by Muslim standards. You couldn't do that in the US without getting a violent reaction. If they don't want to conform to European customs they should go home.

Jul 2015
Netherlands
Banning face-coverings seems like a good idea since if one commits a crime, people are actually going to be able to see one's face. Hijabs, on the other hand, should not be banned. However, I would also advise women to think twice about the effects that hijabs could have; after all, they could ironically make them sexier since more of the body is going to be covered and is thus going to be perceived as taboo.
We are talking girls under 12. Many a country has school uniforms, so I don't see the problem at all. I can tell you that hijab, scarf or whatever you call them are a problem in primary school.

Dec 2015
USA
It is just another piece of the series of anti-muslim laws and proposals in Europe (maybe the first prominent one was in France 2004, when headsarves were banned there in public schools). Headscarves and women wearing them is a favourite target due to their visibility (mosques, minarets, halal food are other popular symbolical targets). Muslim women recieve the most daily harrasment (more than muslim men) on the streets in Europe from racists and islamophobes. I can only admire the courage of the muslim sisters who wear it and endure the daily persecution and stigmatization coming with it. May Allah reward them for their bravery.
Turkey also has faced controversy for what critics deem as anti Muslim dress codes.

Its very inspiring as a Catholic to see Muslim women dressing religiously. Im Catholic, my Aunt was a Catholic Nun God rest her soul, and my sister left Catholicism for Islam and she covers everything. There are differences but also so many similarities between dress styles of Catholics and Muslims throughout history and I love that.

The world we live in sees diversity worldwide. This is also a matter of straight up Common sense I feel. In a free society a Muslim woman can wear a Hijab, and a Muslim woman growing up can also choose to not wear a Hijab like what we already see from masses of Muslims especially in Turkey, Albania, Lebanon and more.

Status
Closed