Back to Eden or Road to Hell ?

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
A "progressive, inclusive" bakery in Oregon

Customer arrives a few minutes after the "closed" sign is put on and asks to be served... Employees decline to serve customer as it is after hours...

Said customer happens to be black and an activist ... She screams racism all over the social media... Owners apologize and fire the 2 employees immediately...

Some say social justice has been served, others say the 2 employees were unfairly treated

Seems like right and wrong are no longer very clear cut in modern society....

Oct 2011
MARE PACIFICVM
A "progressive, inclusive" bakery in Oregon

Customer arrives a few minutes after the "closed" sign is put on and asks to be served... Employees decline to serve customer as it is after hours...

Said customer happens to be black and an activist ... She screams racism all over the social media... Owners apologize and fire the 2 employees immediately...

Some say social justice has been served, others say the 2 employees were unfairly treated

Seems like right and wrong are no longer very clear cut in modern society....
I’m not familiar with the story, but from how you’ve described it, it sounds like the owners took the prudent business decision. In our age of social media, the factual truth is secondary to first impressions, at least when it comes to business. No West Coast business wants to be labeled racist, even if their actions were not racially motivated. It is the label that is important and which everyone is desperate to avoid. This has gotten increasingly difficult as those who use it have become less and less cautious in its application recently.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Mmm.

Sources? Or is this another loony right wing scare story put out by bigots trying to make a point?

See, I can use labels just as well as you can.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
This sounds like fake news or at least "oriented news".

Everywhere around this world laws determine rules and rules win on everything in democratic societies.

So, if rules say that once the bakery is closed no one, even G-d, can order something ... there is nothing to talk about.

Jan 2015
Front Lines of the Pig War
In one statement, "Back To Eden Bakery" says that according to its own surveillance video, a black woman named "Lillian", who is well known in the area as a "professional equity activist", entered at 9:06 p.m., after the bakery's closing time. Employees had also turned off the "Open" sign, but several customers (all white) who had already ordered were still inside. Two other white women who went to the bakery two minutes before "Lillian", and were also informed that the business was closed for the night.
These two employees are being thrown under the bus

The bakery's statement says that even though it does not consider the employees to be racist and that they were following the business's protocol of closing at 9 p.m., they were fired because "sometimes impact outweighs intent."

Apr 2012
The Netherlands
In this case I'd probably look into legal actions if I were the employees. Seems they were fired just for sticking to the rules of their own store which I can't see being legal grounds for having your job terminated.

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
Retail is a nightmare to work in now. you say the wrong thing or look the wrong way and you will be thrown to the wolves. the posters debating its validity have obviously never worked in modern customer service.

Similar History Discussions