Baha'ism

Mar 2011
Does anyone know anything about this religion? I think it's fascinating as because it's relatively new, we have a lot of historical info about it, which elucidates what it may have been like when Christianity and Islam were starting off. Here are some photos about Baha'ism:
The Baha'i Faith - a set on Flickr

It's a shame to hear that they are one of the most persecuted people in Iran.

Rasta

Ad Honoris
Aug 2009
Minnesnowta
I used to be on a religious forum that had quite a few Baha'i. It developed in 19th century Persia I believe, and was thus heavily influenced by Islam.

They forbid drinking alcohol and participating in politics. They believe that manifestations of god, a few examples being Krishna, Jesus, Mohammed, have been sent to mankind from god throughout time.

This is how they deal with different religions giving different messages at different points in time, as mankind changed and progressed, so did the message from god.

Now they don't believe all religions are from god, some they view to be false, especially religions that demanded human sacrifice, etc.

Rasta

Ad Honoris
Aug 2009
Minnesnowta
As for what I think of it, I think they were progressive for their time, and had some very novel ideas, but others, such as maintaining the evil of homosexuality, were simply a product of their time.

They have some very nice and beautiful ideas, and I largely respect their ideology. They do not proselytize, and are comfortable with accepting science, evolution, etc. Though they are kind of "old school" in other areas.

Jun 2010
Dehradun
I have been to the Lotus Temple in New Delhi. It is a Bahai house of worship and looks great from outside. Inside it felt a bit empty.

They think a universal language would unite humanity one day. I asked the librarian which language it would be and the reply I got was - it would be decided by the wise people of the time.

Nice approach in some ways but I think bringing together several religions to create a new one never worked. It just adds to the confusion.

Rasta

Ad Honoris
Aug 2009
Minnesnowta
I have been to the Lotus Temple in New Delhi. It is a Bahai house of worship and looks great from outside. Inside it felt a bit empty.

They think a universal language would unite humanity one day. I asked the librarian which language it would be and the reply I got was - it would be decided by the wise people of the time.

Nice approach in some ways but I think bringing together several religions to create a new one never worked. It just adds to the confusion.
Isn't that what was done to Hinduism? I seem to recall that Hinduism wasn't really thought of as Hinduism until after the Islamic conquest of India.

Jun 2010
Dehradun
Isn't that what was done to Hinduism? I seem to recall that Hinduism wasn't really thought of as Hinduism until after the Islamic conquest of India.
In a way you are right Rasta. I'd say nature worship is still pretty strong in Hinduism. The Vedic religion still doesn't cover all the Hindus. As I have written before on this forum - Austro-Asiatic speaking people were present in India before the arrival of the Dravidian and Indo-European speaking populations.

A large number of the current Austro-Asiatic people still follow their original belief - Sarna religion. I don't know the details but it seems to be primarily about worshiping deities related to nature. They are counted as Hindus in the Indian census.

Islam did help crystallize Hindusim.

Nov 2010
3rd rock from Sol
I have been to the Lotus Temple as well. I had a childhood Bahai friend, and he was 'Raj Koothrapalli' rich. Seems that Bahai people are usually very rich. This always makes me confuse b/w the Bahai people, the Parsis, and the Zoroastrians :eek: Are they all connected?

Jun 2010
Dehradun
I have been to the Lotus Temple as well. I had a childhood Bahai friend, and he was 'Raj Koothrapalli' rich. Seems that Bahai people are usually very rich. This always makes me confuse b/w the Bahai people, the Parsis, and the Zoroastrians :eek: Are they all connected?
I think their being rich may have something to do with the fact that most modern day Bahai's are highly educated.

Regarding the connection between Bahai, Parsis, and the Zoroastrians.

A Bahai is a Bahai. He/She can belong to any modern Nationality.

Parsis are Indian Zoroastrians. Very few remain now - in India and across the world.

The similarities arise because Bahaism, Parsis, and Zoroastrianism originated in modern day Iran. IIRC the Bahai's include Zoroaster as one of their Gods/Prophets.

Mar 2011
The similarities arise because Bahaism, Parsis, and Zoroastrianism originated in modern day Iran. IIRC the Bahai's include Zoroaster as one of their Gods/Prophets.
Crucially as one of their prophets, not as one of their gods, Baha'is are vehemently monotheistic and would not accept a pluralistic pantheon.

Similiar History Discussions History Forum Date
Religious History

Similar History Discussions