Baha'ism

Jun 2008
George Town Tasmania Australia
The creation of a global commonwealth, JM1906, is a central teaching of the Bahá’í Faith. In the latter part of the nineteenth century, Bahá’u’lláh called upon the world’s rulers to reconcile their differences and to “lay the foundations of the world’s Great Peace.” He proclaimed that “The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens.” For more on this theme go to: A Global Civilization ? Bahai Faith | Baha'i Faith | United States Official Website

The UN World Summit for Social Development and the Nongovernmental Forums (NGO Forums) which was held on March 6th-12th in Copenhagen, Denmark, brought together a new set of players. You might enjoy this link, a link which expands on this NGO Forum and the Baha'is, at: http://www.ewtn.com/library/issues/unbahai.txt

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Baha'i Faith is somewhat Islamic in root, but we probably still won't call it Abrahamic, though.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
In a way you are right Rasta. I'd say nature worship is still pretty strong in Hinduism. The Vedic religion still doesn't cover all the Hindus. As I have written before on this forum - Austro-Asiatic speaking people were present in India before the arrival of the Dravidian and Indo-European speaking populations.
With all due respect, and without meaning any offence, I sometimes wonder if the three major deities comprising the Trimurti, i.e. the Hindu Trinity, is also kind of a crystallisation of the gradual peopling up of the Indian subcontinent by first the Austric/Australoid, second the Dravidian and last the Indo-Aryan.

With Brahma the Creator somehow symbolising the Austric/Australoid (the first stage), Vishnu the Sustainer representing the Dravidian (the second stage) and finally Shiva the Destroyer alluding to the Indo-Aryan (the third stage).

BTW, interestingly enough, Krishna, and Rama too, considered by many as among the main avatars of Vishnu the Preserver, are always coloured blue, which I hv read somewhere before, is a kind of subtle allegory to the relatively darker complexioned Dravidian people.

Last edited:

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
One of the key concept of Baha'ism is the "one true god" concept.
Even this concept differs between religions and beliefs.
Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Sikhism are called monotheistic.
Buddhist is either agnostic or atheistic; it certainly does not acknowledge a god of creation.
Daoism/Taoism is against an omnipotent, above-all god; rather, it teaches that even divinities and fairies can be sanctioned or punished.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Does anyone know anything about this religion? I think it's fascinating as because it's relatively new, we have a lot of historical info about it, which elucidates what it may have been like when Christianity and Islam were starting off. Here are some photos about Baha'ism:
The Baha'i Faith - a set on Flickr

It's a shame to hear that they are one of the most persecuted people in Iran.
Yes. I was a member for a while and the Secretary a 'Local Spiritual Assembly' ( Baha'i s do not have clergy , they have an elected body of 9 to run their affairs and fill a role similar to clergy , but they are not 'priests' .

What is it you want to know (it a BIG topic ) ? I would rather answer questions than list 'anything ' I know about it here .

Similiar History Discussions History Forum Date
Religious History

Similar History Discussions