Baja California Missions, 2019 Trail of Missions Show

Oct 2014
California
Beginning in 2014, Baja 1000 racer Cameron Steele has produced a tour to show his guests the historical side of Baja California, the place where California began, the beginning of California's El Camino Real mission trail. Do to my writing about the missions, Cameron asked me to come down to Baja and be a part of his first tour in 2014. That aired on CBS Sports and his show has been on every year since (now on ABC World of X Games).

For 2019, Cameron wanted to show mission sites he had not been to before (Baja has plenty, as my book suggests in its title 'Baja California Land of Missions'). A recon team was made up of several off-road personalities, a TV crew, and me as the guide.

All the filming on this recon trip (made a month before the tour) is now being presented in weekly installments of 8-10 minutes per episode. The tour TV show will be on Sept. 7 and some of the recon footage may be included in the tour show. Here is the first episode of our Baja Trail of Missions recon (and I am asked to talk a bit at the sites). Each week another episode will be posted. Enjoy Baja History with fast trucks and fun people...

Oct 2014
California
Here is Episode 2, about 9 minutes. I am lecturing the group at a mission vista from 1699 plus the oldest colony ruins in California (Baja California today):

Oct 2014
California
The actual tour was made a month after our recon trip (featured in these episodes) and is the subject of the TV show coming on Sept. 1 on ABC TV/ World of X Games/ Trail of Missions. Check your cable listings. 1 pm Pacific is what was announced by the network.

1 pm Pacific... Check your cable listings. It is on the World of X Games show:

Oct 2014
California
This annual tour mixes off-road horsepower and mission history on the peninsula of Baja California, Mexico.

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
Interesting.
Wasn't there another Camino Real trail that ran to the East to link to Albuquerque and Texas?

Oct 2014
California
There were "El Camino Real" (Royal) roads all over the Spanish World and they were revenue streams back to Madrid. Except for California! The California El Camino Real was a communication and supply trail that connected the missions, visitas (satellite outposts), and ports (beach landings) in Baja California and Alta California. The land was too poor and never could send much revenue back to the king. The Camino Real in California began at Loreto in 1699 and connected to the visita of San Juan Londó and the second California mission of San Javier. The peninsula was the only 'California' for over 200 years before Baja was added to its name with the expansion north to San Diego and beyond (Alta California).