Basis for idea that Japanese destroyed all Korean history records

Jun 2014
Earth
I've often seen this claim in various internet forums and among friends.

Of course everyone knows that Japanese tried to force a sense of unity in their Korean colony by making people take Japanese names and spreading propaganda to emphasize any similarities between Koreans and Japanese, sometimes truthful, sometimes misleading, and sometimes false.

I did read that the Japanese moved the Gija monument from Manchuko to Pyongyang in order to convince Koreans that North Korean was more associated with China and South Korea was more associated with Japan (I forgot the reasoning for making the Chinese connection here)

But was there any actual systematic destruction of Korean historical texts? Not only would Japan have to destroy books, but kill off all historians and scholars.

Please provide sources for any claims.

Feb 2011
The association of Pyongyang, in North Korea, with the capital of Gojoseon was actually a Korean practice, not a Japanese one. See Andrew Logie's studies regarding the history involved. I also don't know what your source is with regards to the Japanese moving Gija's monument; as far as I know, Gija's tomb was erected during the Joseon Dynasty in Joseon territory.

Last edited:
May 2015
Sunderland
I've often seen this claim in various internet forums and among friends.

Of course everyone knows that Japanese tried to force a sense of unity in their Korean colony by making people take Japanese names and spreading propaganda to emphasize any similarities between Koreans and Japanese, sometimes truthful, sometimes misleading, and sometimes false.

I did read that the Japanese moved the Gija monument from Manchuko to Pyongyang in order to convince Koreans that North Korean was more associated with China and South Korea was more associated with Japan (I forgot the reasoning for making the Chinese connection here)

But was there any actual systematic destruction of Korean historical texts? Not only would Japan have to destroy books, but kill off all historians and scholars.

Please provide sources for any claims.
Am I missing something? Is this some sort of running joke?

Jun 2014
Earth
The association of Pyongyang, in North Korea, with the capital of Gojoseon was actually a Korean practice, not a Japanese one. See Andrew Logie's studies regarding the history involved. I also don't know what your source is with regards to the Japanese moving Gija's monument; as far as I know, Gija's tomb was erected during the Joseon Dynasty in Joseon territory.
I don't have a source. These are just things I have been told or read online (Korean sentry) or have been told by others. Perhaps it is another myth that is floating around.

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Earth
Am I missing something? Is this some sort of running joke?
It's not a running joke. It's definitely something that most Koreans believe.

The part about Japanese trying to assimilate Koreans via name changes, and forbidding the Korean language to be spoken in public places is true.

The Japanese "tempered Korean ethnic nationalism by pointing out that the first "Korean" kingdom was founded by a foreigner."

The idea by the Japanese was for Koreans to embrace Japan and Japanese culture as the true root of Koreans. They wanted Koreans, who until recently looked to China as the leading civilization, to steer away from China and towards Japan.

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
isn't the history book 조선왕실의궤(which have 1200 volumes) was returned only 5 years ago(and almost 70 years after the war)?

Aug 2015
Korean in Canada
I don't know about destroying historical records, but Japan did take historical artifacts and supposedly never gave them back

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korea_under_Japanese_rule#Changes_to_Korean_culture_under_Japanese_rule

I couldn't find a source of this, so it could be false, but I heard that Japanese government also killed Korean martial art masters and destroyed the Korean martial arts books to destroy the korean culture of martial arts, and instead teach Japanese martial arts. Hence why Kumdo is very similar to Kendo, and that Taek Kwon Do is a quite a mordern martial arts.

I could be totally wrong though, as I do not see any sources for that.

Jun 2014
Earth
I don't know about destroying historical records, but Japan did take historical artifacts and supposedly never gave them back

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korea_under_Japanese_rule#Changes_to_Korean_culture_under_Japanese_rule

I couldn't find a source of this, so it could be false, but I heard that Japanese government also killed Korean martial art masters and destroyed the Korean martial arts books to destroy the korean culture of martial arts, and instead teach Japanese martial arts. Hence why Kumdo is very similar to Kendo, and that Taek Kwon Do is a quite a mordern martial arts.

I could be totally wrong though, as I do not see any sources for that.
What would their motive to destroy TKD, Kumdo, etc be?
Considering TKD president admitted he made up TKD history a few years ago in order to impress foreigners I say that's BS

TKD is shotokan with high kicks added from northern kung fu styles

Feb 2011
I don't have a source. These are just things I have been told or read online (Korean sentry) or have been told by others. Perhaps it is another myth that is floating around.
Perhaps you should stop reading ultra-nationalist websites, and try to find the actual sources for the various ideas you've been told, to see whether they are credible in the first place, before asking about them. After all, there is no way for us to inform you the basis for an idea when the only basis is a Korean netizen's imagination/error. An idea has to have a credible source before other people are willing and able to talk about it. This is especially the case for Japanese crimes during the occupation, for it is one of the most emotionally charged issues for Koreans. There is no shortage of people in Korea - and China - who believe the Japanese were literally evil monsters who did every wrong there is during World War II, regardless of the facts.

Last edited: