Battle of Fishing Creek

Baltis

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Texas
Also known as Sumter's Defeat and Sumter's Surprise, the Battle of Fishing Creek nearly spelled disaster for the partisan movement in South Carolina during the pivotal summer of 1780. Banastre Tarleton led his famous British Legion on a chase to catch Sumter's army. Tarleton was fresh from helping Cornwallis rout Gates at Camden where he was denied much of the glory by virtue of the Patriots running away too quickly. This time Tarleton had the command.

Two days earlier, Sumter had captured some 44 supply wagons and 70 regulars from his army. They slowed his progress up the Catawba River allowing Tarleton to catch up at Fishing Creek. The surprise was devastating as Sumter's unprepared army was killed, captured, or scattered into the countryside.

Imagine for a moment that you are reading a book about Sumter's Summer Campaign and are in the middle of the Fishing Creek chapter. These illustrations appear. Do you like them? How might you improve them?

Attachments

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Also all the individual tree icons make the maps distracting. There are a host of alternatives that are used on military maps, primarily shading.

Baltis

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Texas
Also all the individual tree icons make the maps distracting. There are a host of alternatives that are used on military maps, primarily shading.
Thanks for the input. The first drafts I made used shaded ovals and came away very unsatisfying. In truth, my skills with the software have improved and I may be able to do better with another try.

While I realize the tree symbols get too 'busy' because the terrain was heavily wooded. On the other hand, that also represents a bit of reality. To see these southern battlegrounds, I am frequently impressed by how the whole area is covered with thick forest but then the battle would take place in fairly small cleared areas. I guess the problem of having too many tree symbols comes from wooded areas being the rule rather than the exception. Anyway, perhaps I will back up and work a bit on developing a plainer background option with some shading.