battle of fort Alamo

May 2017
France
Hello.This evening on french TV the famous film "fort Alamo" with John Wayne and Richard Widmark:
The uniforms of the mexican infantry are:regiment blue,regiment red, regiment white and a regiment of milicians (white and stetson).
For the cavalry,a regiment of dragoons (red) and a regiment of lancers (blue).Is it possible to know the list of the mexican régiments who have taken this fort after an heroic resistance,and the losses of the two armies ?Thank you.

Apr 2016
Alabama
These are the Mexican units that were at the Alamo, the other units did not arrive until after the battle or hooked up later

The Vanguard Brigade
The Matamoros Permanent Battalion
The Jimenez Permanent Battalion
The Toluca Permanent Battalion
Zapadores Battalion

Cavalry units that were attached to the Vanguard Brigade
Coahuila unit 30 men
Veracruz unit 9 men
Presidial (militia) 50 men

Reserve Battalions
San Luis Potosi Battalion
Aldama Battalion

The Batallon de Dolores. This is an interesting unit as it was drafted from jails, townships and ranchos. Nearly 500 men, the papers say 280 men, but the reports of the march and battle indicates over 450 men in the unit.

The only artillery unit I know of showed up later.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Hello.This evening on french TV the famous film "fort Alamo" with John Wayne and Richard Widmark:
The uniforms of the mexican infantry are:regiment blue,regiment red, regiment white and a regiment of milicians (white and stetson).
For the cavalry,a regiment of dragoons (red) and a regiment of lancers (blue).Is it possible to know the list of the mexican régiments who have taken this fort after an heroic resistance,and the losses of the two armies ?Thank you.
The Alamo defenders were not really an "army" in any classical sense of the word.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
I have never read the movie title "fort Alamo" before. The English title of the movie is The Alamo. I believe that the theme song ends with the line: "thirteen days of glory at the siege of Alamo".

I mention those 2 instances because they are the only 2 examples I know of the place called anything except "the Alamo" and it seems really strange to read or hear it called anything else.

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
I have never read the movie title "fort Alamo" before. The English title of the movie is The Alamo. I believe that the theme song ends with the line: "thirteen days of glory at the siege of Alamo".

I mention those 2 instances because they are the only 2 examples I know of the place called anything except "the Alamo" and it seems really strange to read or hear it called anything else.
Almost every movie is renamed for distribution to foreign audiences, solely in an attempt to put fannies in the seats. In this case, while Alamo is a term every American recognizes, it was one of a gazillion battles that occurred across history that most of the worlds population have not heard of, such as "Battle of Gaugamela".

It is also common for foreign made films to be renamed for American distribution.

Sometimes American idioms do not translate, sometimes marketers want something that rolls off the tongue...

When it comes to translating movie titles into different languages, it’s not as simple as copying and pasting something into Google Translate and seeing what comes up. In an attempt to make films appealing to an international audience, studios can come up with some unexpected names…

Sometimes, though, studios decide that they need to tweak a title in order to get more foreign bums on seats - with interesting results…

Take Die Hard, the classic 80s action movie whose title stops making sense when you start thinking about it too closely. While the Germans took a more literal approach to naming the film - the German title, Stirb langsam, literally means “die slowly” - many European countries took inspiration from the giant skyscraper in which the film takes place. So in French it became Piège de cristal, in Italy it was Trappola di cristallo, and in Polish it was Szklana pułapka, all of which can roughly be translated as “The Glass Trap.

Lost in Translation: The strange art of renaming movies

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions