Battle of Hastings: Does it matter exactly where it happened?

halomanuk

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
Bedfordshire,England.
I would be very surprised if this is the case,why would William I build the abbey at the top of the hill and the altar inside on exactly the spor where Harold fell if the battle was 2 miles away ?

Total rubbish IMO.

Nov 2010
Londinium
But the question is weather or not it matters where precisely a battle took place? There are plenty of battle whose location is unknown. Should we care?

Jul 2011
I think a lot of people want to have a feeling of "I am standing on the spot where..(fill in the blank). The best example of this is what I read somewhere that there were people actually irritated in Egypt because there was no sign marking the exact spot where Moses opened the Red sea! :lol::lol:

It doesn't really matter IMO but I do believe that historians want to check for example the landscape with the chronicles to see if they match. Furthermore maybe some archeoligists want to know where a battle took place in order to do excavations.

Aug 2009
Belgium
But the question is weather or not it matters where precisely a battle took place? There are plenty of battle whose location is unknown. Should we care?
Not-really. Or in historical significance it would be secondary as opposed to the impact, consequences, etc. If you narrow it down of course to say, just military history, it might be somewhat more important.

Feb 2010
Cambridgeshire, UK
It's of no significance, only of interest. It is always nice to know but has absolutely no relevance to anything that actually happened, aside from (if the topography's even still similar) give a better understanding of the how the battle may have unfolded.

Similar History Discussions