Battle of Hastings - WW2

May 2007
Australia
I have just finished a book about Henry Handel Richardson, an Australian author who lived in Fairlight, near Hastings during the WW2.
This area seemed to be constantly bombed and her house had slight hits or near misses, as did the surrounding houses and towns.
I know about the battle of Hastings, (William v Harold) that was actually at Battle, but I not much more about Hastings itself.
Why was Hastings bombed so much during the war? Was it just because it was close to the English Channel and on the flight path to London, or did it have a navy base there or some such thing?
This would be good to know for my tour guide information.

Sep 2006
Topeka, Kansas
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I found a quote from author Victoria Seymour which reads, "One would not have thought that this would have been regarded as a very strategic target but the German High Command apparently had access to some very old maps because the claim was made that there had been a successful raid on Hastings Harbour!" Based on her description of Hastings in WW2, this was really bad intelligence as there was nothing of military value in Hastings. It makes me wonder if it wasn't just a convenient soft target for German planes on their way across the Channel. This is just an uneducated guess however.
[/FONT]

May 2007
Australia
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I found a quote from author Victoria Seymour which reads, "One would not have thought that this would have been regarded as a very strategic target but the German High Command apparently had access to some very old maps because the claim was made that there had been a successful raid on Hastings Harbour!" Based on her description of Hastings in WW2, this was really bad intelligence as there was nothing of military value in Hastings. It makes me wonder if it wasn't just a convenient soft target for German planes on their way across the Channel. This is just an uneducated guess however.[/FONT]
Thanks for this - sounds very interesting about the old maps!
It is pretty much what I thought, that is was just a good place to bomb! I suppose it was better to drop them and get the hell out of there as quickly as you could if you were a German pilot

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
I read somewhere that Hastings was bombed by damaged German planes just releasing their bombs before turning back. This seems reasonable if you take a line from Abbeville in France [Abbeville and its surroundings conatained several Lufwaffe bases] through Hastings, you more or less hit the east end of London, so it would definately have been on the flight path. Bexhill nearby also suffered.

Mar 2008
The issue of the Battle's of Hastings might be interesting example for a place that suffered because of bad intelligence on the German side, but if we think about it the whole idea of the need to control many of the Eastern European states even before the war was not the most reliable way of thinking. I don't mean the ideological side just the notion that control over certain places was important for the ability to defend Germany.

A little more information or modern means such as the Internet and the whole process of the German Psychosis would have been different
http://www.worldwar2forum.com/would-the-internet-change-the-course-of-the-war-57.html

Similar History Discussions