Battle of Vukovar

Oct 2017
Croatia
So, what do you guys think, is it reasonable to believe that the Battle of Vukovar (in 1991) actually happened? I am a Croatian 18-year-old from Donji Miholjac (not very far from Vukovar), and I can't help but wonder how it's possible that it left so little evidence (at least as far as I am aware), when more than three thousand people were supposedly killed there.

Last edited:
Feb 2016
Japan
So, what do you guys think, is it reasonable to believe that the Battle of Vukovar (in 1991) actually happened? I am a Croatian 18-year-old from Donji Miholjac (not very far from Vukovar), and I can't help but wonder how it's possible that it left so little evidence (at least as far as I am aware), when more than three thousand people were supposedly killed there.
Seems to be plenty of pictures of it looking pretty shot up. Guess credit is due to Croatian reconstruction efforts.

Oct 2017
Croatia
I don't know. I mean, I have studied quite a bit of Croatian history. I had to do that not only for school, but also for my interpretation of the Croatian toponyms:
Croatian Toponyms
If there is evidence to justify such an extraordinary claim of Vukovar being burned to the ground and rebuilt again completely in, well, a decade, how it is that I don't know anything about that evidence?

Feb 2016
Japan
I don’t understand....

Vulkovar has a battle scarred tower preserved there riddled with artillery and rifle bullets.
I’ve not read anything that says it was ruined and erased from the map. Just that it was smashed up a bit and the Serbs killed and around 1000 Croat civillians.

Do you think Stalingrad never happened? Because by 1969 it looked all shiny and new.
You can walk around Hiroshima.... and THAT was gone.
Compare Hiroshima in 1945 with Hiroshima in 1970.... you’ll be surprised at how fast cities can regenerate.

Last edited:
Oct 2017
Croatia
I guess you are right. It's probably unreasonable to except the evidence for the Battle of Vukovar having happened to be known to me, since I haven't studied the history of Vukovar specifically.
Though it's hard for me to see why there are so many more people denying the Holocaust than those who are denying the Battle of Vukovar. There is certainly less evidence of the Battle of Vukovar than of the Holocaust.

Oct 2013
Europix
Does a place called Croatia even exist?? I haven`t studied it that much, but where is
the evidence??
I've heard someone saying is somewhere, on a planet called "Earth".

To be honest, IDK much about astrologie, so I don't know if there's some evidence about the existence of such a planet.

:zany:

May 2014
Norway
The battle of Vukovar happened in the autumn of 1991 between Croatian forces and Yugoslav regular units backed by serbian nationalist paramilitaries. There are pictures from the battle and also video clips where you can see footage of intense gunfire, artillery fire and airstrikes and the result of it. Isn't the old water tower there still a ruin riddled with bullets and bomb shrapnel standing there as a reminder of the brutal battle that took place in and around the city? There are also footage of serbian paramilitaries marching through the city after it was conquered.

Oct 2017
Croatia
Once again, I have studied quite a bit of Croatian history. I will be surprised if I somehow missed the evidence for the Battle of Vukovar if it was real. Though the history is (unlike some other sciences) often so complicated that, no matter how much you study it, you can never be sure you know enough to be able to make some conclusions by yourself.

Similar History Discussions