Battle of Vukovar

Oct 2013
Europix
That was written by me, after I didn't get a response for a few days.
But then I got a response from Barry Hofstetter (one of the most active members of that forum) next evening
True.

And Barry responded (amongst other things):

Theoria coniurationis vastior implicatiorque est ut bene non succedat?
I thought at that part when I red:

But that implies that something happened at Vukovar specifically and that Yugoslavia (whatever that word meant) actually existed, right?
Maybe Yougoslavia doesn't mean anything, maybe there was never such thing as Yougoslavia?

Oct 2017
Croatia
deaf tuner said:
Maybe Yougoslavia doesn't mean anything, maybe there was never such thing as Yougoslavia?
Why assume there was? True, there are books written about it, but there are also books written about a place called Narnia, right? Besides, "Yugoslavia" means "those who celebrate the southern wind" in Croatian. Sounds more like a name of some mythical place than of an actual country, doesn't it?
deaf tuner said:
congratulations for Your interest in Latin and in Your proficiency in using it!
Thanks! Although many people say it's a key to understanding history, I still don't understand why historians believe what they believe.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
But that implies that something happened at Vukovar specifically and that Yugoslavia (whatever that word meant) actually existed, right?
Yes, it implies that something happened a Vukovar specifically. If we can just imagine that people lived there in 1991, than something happened. It always happens something when there are people present.

About Yugoslavia “(whatever that word meant)”, I really didn’t follow you. You will have to elaborate.

Oct 2017
Croatia
Yes, it implies that something happened a Vukovar specifically. If we can just imagine that people lived there in 1991, than something happened. It always happens something when there are people present.

About Yugoslavia “(whatever that word meant)”, I really didn’t follow you. You will have to elaborate.
Why do most historians believe Yugoslavia existed, but they don't believe Narnia existed? There are many books written about both.
Also, the name "Yugoslavia" means "those who celebrate the southern wind" in Croatian, and "southern wind" is often used as a symbol of lunacy in Croatian literature. Doesn't that strongly suggest that "Yugoslavia" is just a name of some mythical place?

Similar History Discussions