Battle Tactics of Janos Hunyadi and Matthias Corvinus

Oct 2011
Croatia
Is there any good reading about battle tactics utilized by father and son Hunyadi?

This is what I found:
But nothing detailed.

I recall that their tactics included significant utilization of battle wagons and pavises, such as pavise fort, wagon fort, as well as offensive application of wagons. In fact, their armies were ones of few European armies of the period which included sophisticated combined-arms operations, coordination and support, which is why they were able to defeat Ottomans in the field.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
It is an interesting topic- most of the stuff I have read makes it seem very obvious how the Hungarians won, they simply linked their wagons together and waited for the enemies to attack while also being quite organized with support from local communities to keep supplied.

I think it is quite a bit more complicated than that as their enemies weren't as stupid as they seem to be portrayed and for the Hussites to win so consistently vs very determined opposition there is more to the story.

Oct 2011
Croatia
True, although that also means that they had to be in situation where enemies would be forced to attack. So there is also strategic and logistical aspect to tactics as well.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
True, although that also means that they had to be in situation where enemies would be forced to attack. So there is also strategic and logistical aspect to tactics as well.
Right- the Hussites did not go on the offensive very often but they did a couple times but obviously they developed tactics due to being nearly constantly threatened with attack and due to the nature of the local geography and political situation.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The use of wagons is telling
they had supplies , the best reason to have transport
an advance create a reaction , the opponent mass it's troops but cannot just stand and watch
at the time static troops would run out of supplies very quickly
this forced the opponent to attack and allowed the Hussites to defend while on the offensive
a neat trick

Reactions: Picard