Battles Where Both Commanders Were Killed

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
The thread about the French and Indian War in the European history subsection got me thinking about the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, where both opposing commanders ended up among the fallen.

The British commander, James Wolfe, was shot twice while observing the battle. As he lay dying on the field one of the British officers exclaimed, "See how they run!," stirring the semi-conscious Wolfe, who asked who was fleeing. When being informed it was the French his last words were reportedly, "God be praised, I die contented."

The Marquis de Montcalm, commanding the French Army, was shot and mortally wounded during the retreat. Taken to Quebec, he was informed by his surgeon that he probably would not survive the night. He was alleged to have replied, "So much the better, I am happy that I shall not live to see the surrender of Quebec." He slipped into unconsciousness soon after and died the next day.

Are there any other battles you can think of where the men in command of both armies at the beginning of a battle, lay dead or dying by the end of it?

Fire_Raven

Ad Honorem
Jul 2010
Oregon
Okinawa(1945)- Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner Jr. (USMC) was killed by sharpnel after a Japanese shell exploded near him while visiting an outpost. The 4 leading Japanese officers committed suicide - 2 by Seppuku, 1 by pistol and one went down with the Yamato.

May 2015
Bristol
What about El-Ksar el-Kebir in 1578 or as its sometimes called "The Battle of the Three Kings":

- Dom Sebastian King of Portugal killed combat.

- Mulai Mohammed the deposed Sultan of Morocco who the Portuguese who trying to restore also killed in the battle.

- Abd el-Malek the current Sultan died before the battle ended. It seems that he was a very sick (or posioned?) man before the battle started and the strain of the battle finished him. With the illness/death being hidden hidden from the Army of Morocco until after they had won.

Mar 2014
Canterbury
/\ Was just about the post the Battle of the Three Kings :(

Guess I'll have to make do with the Battle of Kosovo. Technically, it saw three commanders killed (a sultan, a prince, and a shahzade), and led to another Ottoman royal being strangled...

The bulk of both armies were wiped out in the battle; both Lazar and Murad lost their lives, and the remnants of their armies eventually retreated from the battlefield. The Serbs were left with too few men to defend their lands effectively, while the Turks had many more troops in the east. Murad's son Bayezid strangled his younger brother Yakub Çelebi upon hearing that their father had died, becoming the sole heir to the Ottoman throne

Last edited:
Jun 2015
Croatia
In Battle of Szigeth Croatian Ban Nikola Zrinski is killed in the battle and Suleiman the Magnificent dies during the battle of natural causes.

Jul 2009
Okinawa(1945)- Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner Jr. (USMC) was killed by sharpnel after a Japanese shell exploded near him while visiting an outpost. The 4 leading Japanese officers committed suicide - 2 by Seppuku, 1 by pistol and one went down with the Yamato.
Small correction on Buckner, Jr. He was a lieutenant general in the US army.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Small correction on Buckner, Jr. He was a lieutenant general in the US army.
Right, I think the confusion might have been with Buckner's first replacement. After Buckner was killed overall command of all forces on Okinawa went to General Geiger for a short while, before Joseph Stillwell could be flown in to replace Buckner as commander of the Tenth Army. Geiger was a Marine general and had been in command of III Amphibious Corps, and to this day is the only Marine to have ever been in command of a field army.

Similar History Discussions