Battles where infantry defeated cavalry before the 14th century?

Aug 2018
America
What the title says. I'm looking for battles such as the Battle of Plataea, where Greek heavy infantry famously defeated Persian cavalry. I'm also looking to exclude "military revolution" battles involving the likes of Flemish and Swiss Pikemen and similar, so no battles like Golden Spurs and such which began after the year 1300.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Do you want battles where it was a group on foot without mounted support or battles with only infantry involved? I am not sure what the Battle of Plataea represents in that regard it was mostly an infantry battle with only one small charge repulsed by the Spartans on the crest of a ridge while the Persian archers formed up below the ridge- it was the eventual charge by the Spartans who killed the Persian leader Mardonius the led to the Persian rout.

I think it will be quite hard to find instances of infantry defeating cavalry all on its own.

Battle of Busta Gallorum- Byzantines defeat repeated charges by Ostrogoths but in foreshadowing of later English tactics the Byzantine infantry was mixed with dismounted cavalry behind obstacles with archers on the wings.
Battle of Poitiers - Martel dismounts his cavalry in the woods at the top of a hill.
Battle of Legnano- Carriccio standard was defended by Milanese/Lombard infantry, the Lombard cavalry was run off the field the the Carriccio was held despite a bloody battle when the Lombard cavalry reformed and when an allied contingent of cavalry was able to charge the Emperor directly while the Germans were concentrated on the infantry fight and fending off the returned Lombard cavalry. So not exactly an infantry force defeating cavalry though the infantry around the Carriccio did hold out for a time before allied cavalry actually broke the enemy.

Aug 2018
America
Do you want battles where it was a group on foot without mounted support or battles with only infantry involved?
Only infantry is the most preferable, though if there are also instances of mixed battles where infantry defeated cavalry, that also would be welcomed.

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Thinking of medieval Spain (and North Africa) - aside from defending a fixed/castle position, I cannot think of an instance where there wasn't at least a combination.

But you could look at it like this - at Sagrajas/Zalaqa the heavy knights of the Castillian-Leonese charge got stuck against the Andalusian defence, then the Almoravid infantry javelin wall and stalled and fatigued. Whilst the Almoravid light cavalry then went around the Christian right flank and decimated both the base camp and the retreating, shattered, heavy cavalry. It's difficult to see how infantry alone could have 'won' - they cant move fast enough!