Beautiful armor suits?

Jan 2015
meo
I was looking for some medieval armor suits that are really beautiful with all kinds of decorating. They dont have to be practical in combat, ceremonial armor suits are fine too. I have a fiery discussion with a friend about how boring the armors in the games are and I want to show him that there are real armors that are beautiful too!

Vintersorg

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Belgium
just looking up "plate armour" in wikipedia gives some nice results:

The Full plate armour + horse barding of Sigismund II Augustus:

Here's the armour of Henry II of France:

Some 15th century Full Plate armour, from what is now germany

Last edited:

Matthew Amt

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
MD, USA
I was looking for some medieval armor suits that are really beautiful with all kinds of decorating. They dont have to be practical in combat, ceremonial armor suits are fine too. I have a fiery discussion with a friend about how boring the armors in the games are and I want to show him that there are real armors that are beautiful too!
Hoo, too easy! Try these terms in a Google Image search:

Gothic armor
Maximilian armor
black and white armor
cuirassier armor
grotesque armor

Now, it's true that most plate armor of those styles was not as heavily decorated, you can see plenty of the "plainer" ones. But even "plain" Gothic or Maximilian armor is gorgeous and incredibly artistic! At least, to *most* people. If your friend is that things like that are "boring", I'm not sure there's much hope for him... But then I haven't seen whatever is shown in the game you're discussing!

Good luck!

Matthew

Reactions: Todd Feinman

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
This is a replica of an alemannic gold plated spangenhelm:

The original is 5th century from Krefeld:

They liked their bling

Reactions: Todd Feinman