Before ww2 who was more powerful Bulgaria, Hungary or Romania?

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
GDP was a novel idea in pre WW2 era on that same token, no? The typical thinking of power politics valued natural resources. The German regime only had access to proven oil reserves in the Ploesti area (except for a period of just 5 months or less when some oil East of the Don River was in their control).

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
GDP was a novel idea in pre WW2 era on that same token, no? The typical thinking of power politics valued natural resources. The German regime only had access to proven oil reserves in the Ploesti area (except for a period of just 5 months or less when some oil East of the Don River was in their control).
yes, those numbers are calculated back. this is just what i found, not my expertise. i guess using GDP as a measure might be new, but the datas needed for its calculation were already well existing. but i welcome other comparative datas of the size of economy or level of industrialization for the 1930s.
yes, Hungarian oil reserves were not comparable to the Romanian ones and serious oil production only started in the late 30s, the Hungarian oil fields in Zala became somewhat important for the Germans only in 43-44.

Jul 2015
Budapest, Hungary
The reserves of oil in the Ploiesti area that funneled Germany is the key to the answer. In terms of natural resources and military size Romania was the most important.

Other than that it also had a pretty well developed air force compared to the other two.

Apr 2015
Italy
Hungary had plenty of oil too, especially near Balaton lake.

Probably in 1940, Hungary was ths strongest, because Romania had just lost Bessarabia and Northern Bukovina to Soviet Union.

Feb 2019
Thrace
Most likely Romania. "With oil production of 7.2 million tons in 1937, Romania ranked second in Europe and seventh in the world, and was Europe's second-largest food producer."

Oct 2013
Europix
Actually by economy size the order was 1. Hungary, 2. Romania, 3. Bulgaria. at least what i found the Angus Maddison historical gdp datas Maddison Historical GDP Data

by population size it was 1. Romania, 2. Hungary, 3. Bulgaria. I guess same was in military size.
While it's true from GDP POW, when it comes to "most powerful" what matters is the total in itself.

As Stalin (didn't ?) said: "quantity is a quality in itself".

Similar History Discussions