Bela III of Hungary becomes Byzantine Empire after Manuel I's death in 1180

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What if Byzantine Emperor Manuel I would not have had any surviving sons at the time of his death in 1180 and thus Manuel would have stuck to his original plan to name King Bela III of Hungary as his heir? What kind of Byzantine Emperor would Bela (now renamed Alexios, as per Manuel's wishes) have been?

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Bela was sent by his brother King Stephen III to ERE court, was educated there and engaged for a while to Maria Komnena, the daugther of Manuel I. In order this speculative scenario to work you need to erase future emperor Alexios II Komnenos from this timeline / Manuel I dies without a male heir, also you need King Stephen III to live longer (he idd died very young). Though I dont understand how it is going to work / catholic ruler of the orthodox ERE after the great schism looks quite odd. Most probably Bela would be required to convert before assuming the throne.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Bela was sent by his brother King Stephen III to ERE court, was educated there and engaged for a while to Maria Komnena, the daugther of Manuel I. In order this speculative scenario to work you need to erase future emperor Alexios II Komnenos from this timeline / Manuel I dies without a male heir, also you need King Stephen III to live longer (he idd died very young). Though I dont understand how it is going to work / catholic ruler of the orthodox ERE after the great schism looks quite odd. Most probably Bela would be required to convert before assuming the throne.
I did explicitly say that Manuel I is going to need to avoid having any surviving sons in this scenario at the time of his death in 1180. Of course, it would be even better if the future Alexios II would have been born a girl or not born at all.

Also, agreed that Bela would probably be required to convert to Eastern Orthodoxy.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In no way could he become the emperor without converting, but that would ptobably mean losing the Hungarian crown.
So, who'll get the Hungarian crown?

@Futurist Your speculative scenario is quite interesting idd. An ERE without the rivalry between two Marias and the usurper Andronicos with his massacre of the Latins. Most probably without the capture of the City by the crusaders and latin Romania.
What happens if Constantinople isn't captured?

Similar History Discussions