Belle Epoque (1890-1914) main historical events

Apr 2019
Paris
Hi All,

I just completed a new video based on the very nice covers that the french newspaper Le Petit Journal was publishing from 1890 to 1914.

Many French and International events are covered:
- Indian Revolts in the USA
- French colonization
- Anarchist attacks across Europe
- The Dreyfus Case (France)
- Spanish-American War in 1898
- Boer War (Transvaal)
- Boxers Rebellion in China
- Russian Japanese War 1904-1905
- Balkan Wars
- Young Turks

Please feel free to give me your opinion about the Video.

Also, do you know where I could find archives of British or American newspapers with nice covers/headlines? (XIX or XX century)?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Nicely done! Here in Ljubljana we have a cafe called Le Petit Cafe, located on French Revolution Square, that has a lot of Le Petit Journal covers framed on its walls and its menus are designed in the same style as well. I like it all very much.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Nicely done! Here in Ljubljana we have a cafe called Le Petit Cafe, located on French Revolution Square, that has a lot of Le Petit Journal covers framed on its walls and its menus are designed in the same style as well. I like it all very much.
French Revolution Square!!!!! What a scandal! What a scandal! What would it happen if the Emperor comes again!!!!

It should be Le Petit Cafe on Thonefölger Square

Beautiful Ljibulana during the Belle Epoque.. Down with Revolution!

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
French Revolution Square!!!!! What a scandal! What a scandal! What would it happen if the Emperor comes again!!!!

It should be Le Petit Cafe on Thonefölger Square

Beautiful Ljibulana during the Belle Epoque.. Down with Revolution!
Oh well, Otto Habsburg is dead and he's the last one I'd still consider Emperor. But I think he wouldn't mind. It makes sense to have a square named like that. There's also an obelisk on that square in honour of Napoleon and the Illyrian Provinces, whose capital was Ljubljana.

It's interesting to see how names change. On your beautiful postcard the bridge is called "Jubilee Bridge" but nowadays everyone calls it Zmajski most - "Dragon Bridge".

The castle has also been restored since. I think at the time this postcard was made, it was used as a prison.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Oh well, Otto Habsburg is dead and he's the last one I'd still consider Emperor. But I think he wouldn't mind. It makes sense to have a square named like that. There's also an obelisk on that square in honour of Napoleon and the Illyrian Provinces, whose capital was Ljubljana.

It's interesting to see how names change. On your beautiful postcard the bridge is called "Jubilee Bridge" but nowadays everyone calls it Zmajski most - "Dragon Bridge".

The castle has also been restored since. I think at the time this postcard was made, it was used as a prison.
I agree with you. Otto was the last Emperor. Yes I visited Ljublana september 1995 if I remember correctly and it was a very nice city... as usual in the States of Monarchy.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I agree with you. Otto was the last Emperor. Yes I visited Ljublana september 1995 if I remember correctly and it was a very nice city... as usual in the States of Monarchy.
I'm glad you liked it. Since then they closed the very centre of the city for cars. I find it very pleasent and I agree with you about the other cities of the former monarchy. Graz, Klagenfurt, Brno, you name it. I like them all.

Apr 2019
Paris
Really? haha Excellent!
I have been to Ljubljana like 3 years ago, it was really lovely

You can find here the whole archives:
Le Petit journal. Supplément du dimanche - 37 années disponibles - Gallica
I didn't wanted to make it too long video, so I only selected 15-20% of the covers

Similar History Discussions