Bertrand Russell's Ideal

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
The following is from "Why I am not a Christian":

We want to stand upon our own feet and look fair and square at the world—its good facts, its bad facts, its beauties, and its ugliness; see the world as it is, and be not afraid of it. Conquer the world by intelligence, and not merely by being slavishly subdued by the terror that comes from it. The whole conception of God is a conception derived from the ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men. When you hear people in church debasing themselves and saying that they are miserable sinners, and all the rest of it, it seems contemptible and not worthy of self-respecting human beings. We ought to stand up and look the world frankly in the face. We ought to make the best we can of the world, and if it is not so good as we wish, after all it will still be better than what these others have made of it in all these ages. A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past, or a fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by ignorant men. It needs a fearless outlook and a free intelligence. It needs hope for the future, not looking back all the time towards a past that is dead, which we trust will be far surpassed by the future that our intelligence can create.

My attempt at classical Chinese translation:

吾等当自立于世,观世以公正,善恶美丑兼顾;如实知世,无所畏惧。以智伏世,而非屈膝于其怖。神之一伦,弥生于古东方独裁专制,自由自主者不屑于此。于教堂中,听闻众人自贬其为可怜罪人,或其余之事,实甚可悲,不值自敬自重者所宗。吾等当自立,并直面世间,尽得其所,纵不尽如愿,亦远胜其祖往昔所为矣。盛世之立,需智、仁、勇,此不需追悔往昔之缅怀,或以无知之言枷锁自由之智。盛世需无畏之眼光及自由之智,亦需未来之期盼,而非时常缅怀已逝之过去,吾等深信,以吾等之智所创之未来必能超远之。

(This is mostly for recording what I attempt.)