Best Allied World War II general?

Oct 2011
Croatia
Personally, I would nominate William Slim. He was extremely adaptable, and able to turn a defeated army into one capable of beating the same enemies that had pushed it off its lawn. Slim had in fact inflicted possibly the greatest defeats that Japanese Army had experienced in World War II, and that came after Japanese had initially easily beaten British and Indian troops in Southeast Asia. He was also very good at "mission-command", decentralizing decision making by allowing low-level commanders to make key decisions: same thing which had allowed Germans to beat Allies in France in 1940, and also sustained logistics over nigh-impossible terrain.

Now a question: how many people here had known of him, compared to e.g. Montgomery or Patton?

Reactions: frogsofwar
Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
I have known about Slim for years as I have had an interest in the CBI for a long time, almost as long as I have been reading History. I once had a copy of "God was my Co-pilot" when I was a boy (early to mid 60's). Slim may not have been in it, but it gave me an interest to other material.

Pruitt

Lee-Sensei

Ad Honorem
Aug 2012
Personally, I would nominate William Slim. He was extremely adaptable, and able to turn a defeated army into one capable of beating the same enemies that had pushed it off its lawn. Slim had in fact inflicted possibly the greatest defeats that Japanese Army had experienced in World War II, and that came after Japanese had initially easily beaten British and Indian troops in Southeast Asia. He was also very good at "mission-command", decentralizing decision making by allowing low-level commanders to make key decisions: same thing which had allowed Germans to beat Allies in France in 1940, and also sustained logistics over nigh-impossible terrain.

Now a question: how many people here had known of him, compared to e.g. Montgomery or Patton?
Burma was sort of a forgotten front. I have a great deal of respect for the way that he treated his troops. Does this count Soviet Generals.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
Personally, I would nominate William Slim.

A good capable general, but I wouldn't class him as great.
His greatest victory was in a battle where his forces just needed to hold some key positions and the Japanese army would starve to death, which is what happened.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
I know of him though I prefer Eichelberger to him. Both saw off a lot of Japanese but Eichelberger was in a more important theater.

I don't think the best Allied commander was a general at all but one of several admirals--Nimitz and Cunningham for starters.

Reactions: Picard
Oct 2011
Croatia
I don't think the best Allied commander was a general at all but one of several admirals--Nimitz and Cunningham for starters.
That I agree with.

A good capable general, but I wouldn't class him as great.
His greatest victory was in a battle where his forces just needed to hold some key positions and the Japanese army would starve to death, which is what happened.
I don't think it is as simple as that. His achievments are most important in making that situation possible in the first place; as I understand it, he basically reformed and retrained British Army in Burma.

Does this count Soviet Generals.
Yes.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
That I agree with.

I don't think it is as simple as that. His achievments are most important in making that situation possible in the first place; as I understand it, he basically reformed and retrained British Army in Burma.

Yes.
I didn't say he was bad, just not as good as some people rate him.

Oct 2015
Virginia
Zhukov faced the Germans at the peak of their power. He saved Leningrad and dealt the German army its first setback before Moskow, crippled it at Kusk and destroyed it in Byelorussia. He (with Vassilievski) participated in planning and oversight of all the Red Army operations. He suffered setbacks (viz Mars et al) but no Western commander comes close to his contributions to victory.

Reactions: macon and sailorsam

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Zhukov faced the Germans at the peak of their power. He saved Leningrad and dealt the German army its first setback before Moskow, crippled it at Kusk and destroyed it in Byelorussia. He (with Vassilievski) participated in planning and oversight of all the Red Army operations. He suffered setbacks (viz Mars et al) but no Western commander comes close to his contributions to victory.
So are you agreeing that he's the best Allied general?